BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Regular Full-time Exempt
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City of Coquitlam is currently seeking an innovative and driven Director Utilities for our Engineering and Public Works department. This position leads one of six Divisions reporting to the General Manager, Engineering and Public Works. The Director Utilities has four excluded management positions reporting to it, as well as fourteen unionized direct and indirect reports.
As the successful candidate to this leadership role, you will be involved in and provide high level, strategic and corporate support in relation to the Utilities division. In this role, you will be responsible for leading City wide initiatives by developing and advancing strategies in the realm of engineering and GIS. As a Director, you will be involved in significant regional and city priorities related to utilities, which will include liaising with other levels of government, utility authorities, other stakeholders and the general public. In the Director Utilities role, you will also be responsible for putting your impeccable negotiation skills to use when engaging in discussions with other agencies, striving to achieve outcomes in the best interest of the City.
This position will oversee key utility initiatives, operational processes, and related practices while also collaborating with the Engineering and Public Works management team to lead strategic master planning and business planning and reporting functions of the department. Considerable independent leadership, innovation and judgement are required in managing, planning and organizing the key responsibilities of this role. You will need to demonstrate strong people leadership and mentoring skills to move the utilities division team forward.
This exciting role requires both an understanding of engineering and public works as well as utility practices. The successful candidate will showcase excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and the ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders and community groups. The Director Utilities is an integral part of a dynamic management team.
In addition to the professional qualifications in Business, Public Administration, Engineering and/or another related discipline, you preferably possess a minimum of 10 years of related experience with at least 5 years within a municipal or regional government setting. Holding a P.Eng designation will be considered an asset. The high-energy and the leadership demands of this position will be compensated with an attractive salary, excellent benefits and a great deal of job satisfaction.
- Experience leading staff on departmental strategies and business plan objectives.
- Track record of success in promoting and maintaining a work environment which fosters and rewards teamwork, initiative, accountability, diversity and innovation.
- Ability to adapt to a continually evolving environment centred around team focused, fast-paced workplace design.
- Strong financial skills through experience managing budgets, analyzing expenditures and familiarity with cost sharing negotiations.
- Experience working within or alongside local government teams, other public sector organizations and external stakeholders such as utility authorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to serve as a focal point between multiple parties at the Council and executive level; and to provide strategic advice, counsel and guidance on critical issues that have community impacts.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to negotiate, influence, and liaise effectively with colleagues, members of the public and external agencies.
- Advanced research, analytical and problem solving skills, with an ability to identify and interpret emerging issues.
- An understanding of the strategic direction of the City.
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55pm of the posting close date.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.