BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Maintenance Ice Maker
(Full Time, Temporary)
Parks and Recreation Department
$32.18 /hr (CUPE Local 358)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
The Municipality invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Maintenance Ice Maker on a full-time, temporary basis. Hours of work will include weekends, evenings and shift work.
The successful candidate will perform duties in the maintenance, ice making, and custodial functions in a diverse recreational facility. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Possession of a valid Ice Facility Operator’s ticket, Refrigeration Operator’s Certificate, or a 5th Class Power Engineering Certificate recognized by the Technical Safety of British Columbia (TSBC).
- Possession of a valid Occupational First Aid Level 1 or equivalent certification.
- Completion of RFABC’s Arena Ice Maker and Building Service Worker I courses and one to three (1 to 3) years of related job experience or acceptable combination of education, training and experience.
- Demonstrable ability to operate building, grounds and associated equipment.
- Demonstrable ability to undertake self-directed minor facility repairs including plumbing, carpentry, painting, and the operation of power tools.
- Demonstrable ability in the operation of ice making, ice resurfacing, and related arena equipment and experience in maintenance of a recreational facility.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working under minimal supervision recognizing and addressing liability risks.
- Excellent communication, practical problem solving and public relations skills.
- Working knowledge of and commitment to WorkSafeBC and BC Safety Authority regulations and safety procedures and other related regulatory requirements.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website. Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED