BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Engineering TechnologistFull Time
Posted July 9, 2020
The City of Fernie is currently accepting applications for a customer-oriented team player to join the Engineering Team of the Operations Department. The Engineering Technologist aids in implementing a variety of municipal infrastructure projects and provides technical support for the operations of municipal services. The Engineering Technologist will have duties in several stages of project implementation including planning, surveying, design, drafting, estimating project costs, site inspection and preparing project reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Engineering Technologist is a self-directed and motivated individual who is skilled in performing a wide range of technical work with specific experience in site survey, drafting and design in AutoCAD Civil 3D. This role requires a professional approach and exceptional communication skills to respond to project needs and customer requests. The Engineering Technologist will collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams to ensure projects are completed within allotted schedules to high quality standards.
Illustrated Examples of Work:
- Complete site surveys, input survey data into a base plan, and create models in Civil 3D to form the basis of detailed engineering design for infrastructure upgrades.
- Support the execution of a wide variety of civil engineering projects and municipal infrastructure upgrades.
- Prepare and review plans and drawings, contract documents, and cost estimates.
- Coordinate activities for the completion of projects requiring technical expertise.
- Prepare and maintain technical reports and records, inspection reports, photos and field books.
- Provide technical support for the maintenance and operation of all existing assets.
- Respond to inquiries from residents, utility companies, engineers, developers and other stakeholders related to City infrastructure.
- Graduation from a recognized technical institute in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Association of Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia.
- Previous working experience, minimum 5 years, in municipal infrastructure design and drafting including proficiency in Civil 3D.
- Strong communication, technical and analytical skills.
- Familiarity with municipal and provincial design standards in British Columbia and other Canadian provinces.
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License.
- Working in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions.
- Field work on construction sites and around heavy equipment.
- Hours of work: Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., with one-hour unpaid lunch.
Salary and benefits will be in accordance with current CUPE contract. Detailed applications containing resume and references can be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to City Hall and should be received by 4:00 p.m., Friday, August 28, 2020 and be addressed to:
Jenny Weir, Municipal Engineer
City of Fernie,
501 3rd Avenue,
P.O. Box 190
Fernie, BC V0B 1M