BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Environmental CoordinatorFull Time, Time Stated
Find out why our AMAZING employees love working for the City of Port Coquitlam!
Affectionately known as “PoCo”, we are an award-winning values-based organization made up of a diverse and dedicated team of people who care deeply about the community they serve.
The City of Port Coquitlam is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated professional with a strong environmental background to join our team as an Environmental Coordinator. This is a professional advisory, compliance and technical role involving environmental planning and control functions. This position will be responsible for the development of bylaws and policies, will review development proposals, including consultant studies, prepare reports and studies, and coordinate initiatives in support of the City's environmental objectives and legislative commitments. In particular, the City is seeking a candidate with experience in developing greenhouse gas emissions targets and climate change adaption policies. It is anticipated this assignment will continue for approximately twelve (12) months.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Working collaboratively across City departments to focus on the development and implementation of environmental policies, initiatives and projects in keeping with the goals of the Official Community Plan for smart, sustainable growth and a livable community
- Providing expertise, advice and guidance on environmental matters, including best practices, as well as regulatory and other requirements of senior governments or affiliated agencies (areas of specialty include riparian area planning and regulations, environmental assessments, ecological asset management, GHG emissions, climate adaptation, and fish and wildlife habitat regulations)
- Working in collaboration with higher levels of government, the environmental stewardship community, supporting stakeholder consultation and, representing the City's interests in external committees
- Processing development applications related to environmental objectives and undertaking onsite inspections in accordance with policies, regulations and best practices
- Creating presentations and engaging with a variety of audiences.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we would love to hear from you:
- Strong verbal, written and social media communication skills
- Ability to build effective relationships and work collaboratively with both internal and external groups
- A Master’s Degree in Environmental Resource Management, Environmental Sciences or similar program supplemented by two years of related professional experience
- Membership or eligibility for membership in a relevant professional organization
- A valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License.
Why should you consider working for us?
- An annual starting salary starting at $82,000
- A “Goldilocks” size organization where meaningful impact and contribution happens daily
- A diverse, inclusive and supportive workplace with a fun, vibrant and supportive team.
The terms and conditions of employment for this position are in accordance with the CUPE Collective Agreement. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply online with a resume and a cover letter that describes your fit for our position to www.portcoquitlam.ca/cityjobs noting competition #20-052e before July 12th, 2020.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
The City of Port Coquitlam will conduct a criminal record check