BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Labour Relations Advisor
The Human Resources Department provides the District of West Vancouver’s employees with information, services, programs and advice on labour relations, recruitment, training and development, employment services, payroll, compensation, benefits administration, and health and safety.
Reporting to the Manager of Human Resources, the Labour Relations Advisor provides consultation and advice to managers and staff on a wide range of human resource programs, processes, initiatives and labour relations matters, to ensure practices are consistent and comply with legislation, collective agreements, administrative regulations, policies and procedures. The Labour Relations Advisor is committed to establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, managers, bargaining agents, and external contacts; interacting in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport. Please note, this opportunity is a 1-year contract position.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Coordinate and/or provide advice and consultation on the day-to-day administration of the collective agreements and employment policies and procedures
- Prepare information on collective agreement interpretation and application Participate in collective agreement negotiations
- Ensure HR practices are consistent and comply with legislation, collective agreements, administrative regulations, policies, and procedures
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the HR Advisors, employees, managers, bargaining agents, and external contacts and interacts in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport
- Participate on labour/management committees and acts as a resource in negotiations
- Develop trusting and collaborative relationships with members of the HR team
- Provide administrative support and coordination in the preparation of correspondence, documents and reports related to human resources
- Participate in other duties and special projects as assigned
The ideal candidate has completed a degree in Human Resources, or a related field, with direct experience in a labour relations role within a unionized environment. The ideal candidate will demonstrate: an ability to build and maintain strong working relationships, collaborative problem solving and excellent customer service with an appetite for progressive change and continuous learning. This role requires an individual with exceptional facilitation, negotiation, and communication skills. A CPHR designation would be an asset.
- 5+ years of progressively more responsible labour relations experience, preferably in a complex, multi-union environment
- Human Resources degree/diploma and/or other professional training in labour relations
- Advanced knowledge of human resource best practices, principles, relevant legislation, regulations, and guidelines
- Ability to connect and collaborate with people at all organizational levels and maintain strong, service-oriented relationships
- Excellent judgment, discretion, and the ability to navigate complex and challenging situations
- Experience supporting the development and alignment of a human resource and labour relations strategy
- High degree of integrity and professional ethics
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Grounded in sound and transparent decision-making and innovative problem solving
- High-level organization, prioritization, and time management skills
Should you be interested in learning more about this unique opportunity with the District of West Vancouver, please contact Carol Robinson at 604-998-4032 or forward your resumé, a letter of introduction and the names and contact information for three references, in confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We will respond to all who express interest.