BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Competition No. 2020-32
$36.41-$40.38/hr Levels 1–4 (2020 Rates)
CUPE Local 358
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
We invite applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Engineering Technologist.
This is an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to perform technical functions of a civil engineering nature. We are keenly interested in applicants who are registered with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC. Duties will include: topographic surveys and layout, use of AutoCAD programs to design, produce, maintain and plot engineering drawings and maps. Work also includes construction and utility drawing review and inspections, traffic count data collection and processing, and other related duties as required.
Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology and a minimum of six (6) years of post-diploma relevant engineering experience.
- Demonstrable skills in spreadsheets, word processing, database programs and computer file organization.
- Demonstrable advanced AutoCAD skills and ability to use mapping and GIS programs in an engineering environment.
- Demonstrable ability to keep accurate records and notes and to prepare design and as-built (record) drawings, service cards, and other utility records using Microsoft Office, AutoCAD and other programs.
- Demonstrable ability to prepare grade sheets, progress certificates, technical reports and inspection reports.
- Demonstrable ability to review applications for design and construction and other engineering approvals.
- Good organizational and interpersonal communications skills.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working with minimal supervision.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website. Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED