BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Food Security Ambassador - Summer StudentCompetition #20ST16
The City of Nelson and the Nelson and District Youth Centre is currently looking for a dedicated, responsible and enthusiastic Food Security Ambassador for an exciting new opportunity for the 2020 summer season. The position is part of the Canada Summer Jobs program for youth aged 15 to 30.
The Food Security Ambassador will support the Youth Centre Manager by working with the public to provide education and develop food security initiatives in the community. This includes developing relationships with local community members, supporting food security initiatives, providing information and education on food security resources and developing a food security website. The Food Security Ambassador will also assist the Youth Centre Manager in coordinating and running the Nelson Farmer’s Market for the 2020 summer season, as well as support City Campground operations as required.
The successful candidate will be passionate about food security, have strong communication skills, solid computer skills and the ability to work with the public.
- Completion of Grade 12 or an equivalent GED
- Currently completing post-secondary education in Agriculture, Environmental Studies or a related field
- Valid BC Driver’s License – Class 5 or 7
- Experience with public education and/or working with the public on a one-on-one level
- Passion for food sustainability and agriculture
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Self-motivated and highly organized
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, website software)
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Proven problem solving and prioritization skills
- Organization skills and attention to detail
- Must be returning to full time studies in September 2020
In keeping with the Criminal Records Review Act, this position will require a Criminal Records check including a Vulnerable Sector search as a condition of employment prior to starting work with the City of Nelson.
Interested applications should submit their covering letter and resume by July 6th, 2020 to:
City of Nelson
101-310 Ward Street
Nelson, BC V1L 5S4
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted. The City of Nelson is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.