BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Director of Finance
Posted May 22, 2020
The City of Fernie, located in a spectacular natural setting in southeastern British Columbia is seeking an experienced Director of Finance.
Fernie is a true mountain community, featuring world class outdoor recreation, a thriving cultural scene, the enthusiasm of a vibrant youthful population and a scenic, tranquil location in the heart of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Fernie is a three- hour drive west from Calgary, Alberta, and just one hour from Canadian Rockies International Airport in neighbouring Cranbrook.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and working closely with Mayor and Council, the Director of Finance will assume complete responsibility for the overall financial management of the City.
This is a unique opportunity to join the City of Fernie at a time of significant organizational renewal. The ideal candidate will have a university degree, financial designation, and a track record of growth and success in progressively senior Finance roles, preferably in public administration.
You have demonstrated experience in strategic planning and a proven ability to execute and deliver results. You have high standards and will set work objectives that are aggressive, yet realistic, and you are well respected for your professionalism, commitment, and passion.
As a key member of the senior management team for the City you will oversee a team of direct reports and provide guidance, strategic advice, and direction to organization and elected officials. You will be accountable for the effective administration of the financial affairs of the City including all accounting, budgeting, planning, debt and investment management, financial risk management, and the ongoing review and process and policy.
Desired knowledge, skills and abilities include:
- Demonstrated knowledge of public sector financial accounting and reporting principles and requirements under PSAB;
- Thorough knowledge of municipal legislation as it relates to finance including the Community Charter and Local Government Act;
- Ability to communicate effectively, fostering credibility and trusting relationships with Elected Officials and the public;
- Experience consulting the public and working with councils, boards, and committees;
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of software and experience with Vadim financial software;
- Ability to identify, develop, and implement solutions to reporting and business processes that are considered high risk with a financial impact to the City.
The City of Fernie offers competitive compensation, including comprehensive employee benefits and a defined benefit pension plan. Resumes and a cover letters should be forwarded in confidence no later than 11:59 p.m. MST, on June 21, 2020 to:
Michael Boronowski, Chief Administrative Officer
City of Fernie
PO Box 190, 501 3rd Avenue
Fernie, BC VOB IMO
The City of Fernie thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Late applications will not be considered.
The City of Fernie strives to ensure that its employment practices are free from direct and indirect discrimination and is committed to upholding the human rights of those participating in the hiring process. In pursuit of this commitment, City of Fernie will not condone or tolerate any acts of discrimination or harassment under any of the grounds protected under human rights legislation. This commitment extends to the hiring process and throughout the course of employment.