BC Local Government Job Posting Service
One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
The City of Delta is seeking an experienced Payroll leader to join our Finance team. Reporting to the Manager of Financial Services, the Payroll Manager will manage a team of payroll professionals to ensure the effective delivery of payroll services in an accurate, efficient and timely manner. The Payroll Manager is tasked to implement and co-ordinate the payroll plans and activities, ensuring compliance with strict deadlines and according to City policies and legislative requirements.
- Manages and coordinates (planning, controlling, and monitoring) the City’s central payroll function including for fire and police services;
- Hires, orients and trains staff. Develops training and performance management plans to monitor staff performance. Handles disciplinary and labour relations issues;
- Motivates, leads and manages the payroll team to ensure the most efficient day-to-day operations and customer service. Oversees the biweekly payroll cycle, establishes the work plans and schedules, and coordinates the pay period cut-offs and timetables with departments. Reviews and approves monthly payroll transactions and account reconciliations;
- Develops and communicates business process documentation and training for both central payroll staff and other decentralized timekeeping in various departments;
- Ensures cross-training takes place to provide appropriate backup and support effective resolution of issues;
- Ensures consistent audits of the payroll processing to ensure data integrity and controls are maintained;
- Assists in the coordination of the year-end audit. Reviews audit working paper files and documentation related to payroll accounts;
- Manages the production of all payroll year-end activities;
- Establishes procedures and processes for complete and accurate third-party remittances for statutory and other employee deductions. Compiles year-end reports and reconciliations and files statutory reports;
- Reviews and approves statutory reports required by provincial legislation (Financial Information Act [FIA]), Municipal Pension Corporation, BC Pension Corp Workers’ Compensation Board and Statistics Canada;
- Reviews payroll processes against industry best practices and enhances processes with a focus on continuous improvement of departmental effectiveness;
- Participates and contributes, as the functional lead, the enhancement and maintenance of PeopleSoft HCM system in a hands-on manner, including the addition, amendment, and inactivation of Earnings Codes, Deductions Codes, Benefit Plans and Rates, Special Accumulators, Time Reporting Codes (PeopleSoft Time & Labour), Schedules, Calendars, and Tax Form Definitions;
- Tests, develops and deploys new functionality and regular upgrades in Peoplesoft;
- Oversees the billing and recovery of employee claims. Establishes corporate policies and procedures and liaises with Human Resources and Legal Services departments on complex issues.
City of Delta
The successful candidate will have a university degree in business or accounting (or a similar field) and will have completed the Canadian Payroll Manager (CPM) Association Designation. 7-10 years of progressive experience is required, and significant experience managing employees performing transaction-based work as a Payroll Manager is preferred. The incumbent will have a comprehensive knowledge of all payroll legislative requirements and advanced experience with programs such as Microsoft Excel, and Payroll and HR information systems. The ability to effectively manage change in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, as well as the ability to prioritize, analyze, and problem-solve complex payroll issues and technical problems is a requirement for this role. Comprehensive knowledge with PeopleSoft applications within a unionized municipal environment is preferred.
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan as well as an earned-days-off system. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition #20-73 EX by June 14, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application.
Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.
Attention: Human Resources
4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent, Delta, BC V4K 3E2