BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Planner(Regular Full-Time – Exempt Position)
The Township of Spallumcheen has an exciting management opportunity to fulfill the role and responsibilities of the Planner.
The Township of Spallumcheen is the pride of the North Okanagan when it comes to agriculture and industrial opportunities and is home to the North Okanagan’s largest industrial park. Growth is expected to steadily increase with the announcement in August 2019 of the 24.3 million dollar grant for the North Okanagan Wastewater Recovery Project.
Reporting and providing support to the Manager of Planning & Development, the Planner will act as deputy approving officer and provide technical and professional leadership and community planning information guided by the Official Community Plan, Zoning Bylaw, related policy documents, best practices and provincial legislation, as well as the ability to prepare and present comprehensive planning reports. Typical work will include managing and taking the lead in consideration and processing all development applications, writing area and community plans, designing and implementing public engagement programs, writing planning policies and bylaws and will provide guidance and supervision to other staff members, consultants and permit applicants.
The Planner will require general planning knowledge (theory, practice, legislation and case law), and the ability to interpret policies, regulations, and legislation, as well as the ability to prepare
and present comprehensive planning reports.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- A university degree in Planning, Geography or a related field;
- A minimum of 3 years of planning experience in a municipal planning environment;
- Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (or eligibility for membership);
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of the Local Government Act, Land Title Act, Community Charter and other relevant federal and provincial policies and legislation as they relate to local government;
- Sound working knowledge and understanding of common law principles and legislative conventions applicable to land use planning;
- Review issues/implications, provides policy interpretation/professional advice on a wide range of planning subjects;
- Maintains confidentiality/security of planning documents and provides guidance for consultants and clerical staff;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to write comprehensive reports;
- The ability to undertake research and data collection and apply strong analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Skills and good judgement in dealing with the public, staff, community groups and the
- development industry, with a strong focus on customer service;
- A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and provision of a vehicle;
- May complete assignments, under general direction of the Manager of Planning & Development related to: municipal land sales; purchases; leases; rights-of way; covenants; easements;
- encroachments; licenses and other land agreements;
- Manage the preparation of ads, public notices, information summaries and reports to Council regarding development application and interests in land in compliance with Municipal Code and provincial legislation;
- Manage, maintain, or assist with updating, planning-related pages of municipal website;
- May review and edit reports and plans prepared by other staff and occasionally by other departments or planning consultants;
- Computer skills, at a minimum: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat. Useful addition software skills would include, website maintenance, municipal accounting (Vadim preferred), plus understanding of GIS capabilities and applications to community planning;
- Provide information and make presentations at Council meetings in addition to or in absence of the Manager of Planning & Development;
- Emergency Operations Center experience would be considered an asset.
A detailed job description can be accessed via the Township’s website at http://www.spallumcheentwp.bc.ca/siteengine/activepage.asp?PageID=108
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits are offered.
Qualified individuals are invited to submit their application, in confidence, via mail, fax or email no later then 4:30 pm on Tuesday, April 7th, 2020 to the attention of:
Township of Spallumcheen
4144 Spallumcheen Way
Spallumcheen, BC, V0E 1B6
* Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Spallumcheen, BC
Region: Okanagan Valley / Similkameen
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: March 23, 2020, 8:32 am
Expires: April 7, 2020, 4:30 pm