BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Manager, Parks Operations
Manager, Parks Operations (Continuous)
Parks, Recreation and Facilities Department
Victoria is a vibrant, diverse and sustainably-focused city, renowned as a global tourist destination, hosting over 3.5 million visitors annually, and a place with excellent quality of life. Located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island and the capital of British Columbia, the City of Victoria is home to 92,000 people and is the economic and cultural hub for the region’s 350,000 residents.
The City of Victoria is recruiting for an exciting opportunity as Manager of Park Operations, a position best suited for a strategic leader with a proven track-record in managing a high- performing team. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Parks and Recreation, our ideal candidate will bring exceptional communication skills, innovative ideas and strong leadership to the operations team.
The Manager of Park Operations works closely with colleagues across the organization, as well as external stakeholders, to effectively manage a diverse portfolio of 137 parks and open spaces.
This is an exciting opportunity for a skilled and motivated professional, who enjoys tackling complex challenges, and understands how to acquire and utilize relevant data in decis ion- making, to effectively meet strategic objectives.
This position requires working in a deadline-focused environment, balancing multiple projects and addressing changing priorities, while providing guidance to a diverse team.
The Manager of Park Operations works closely with colleagues across the organization, as well as external stakeholders, to effectively manage the activities of the Park Operations Section- horticulture, nursery, turf maintenance, caretaking, and related programs.
- Develop and implement operational standards and plans focused on park maintenance, protection and enhancement of the park network that are aligned with strategic documents, such as the Parks and Open Spaces Master Plan and Climate Leadership Plan and result in safe and high quality parks
- Develop and monitor short, medium and long-term strategies, establish targets and performance measures for the division
- Provide subject matter expertise to senior management
- Identify solutions to barriers/issues/opportunities and develop strategies to optimize service delivery and resource utilization
Leadership and Management
- Oversee the staff team responsible for the delivery of park services, including horticulture planning and maintenance, nursery operation, sport field turf management, passive turf maintenance, tax-boulevard program, parks caretaking and overnight sheltering support.
- Provide vision and demonstrate consistent leadership for staff in a manner that demonstrates commitment to a larger team environment and ensures the provision of a high quality service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage labour relation matters including investigations into conduct issues, respond to grievances, and attend labour management meetings
- Oversee safety program and co-chair Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Provide leadership on corporate projects, and collaborate with colleagues and stakeholders to deliver high quality results
- Deliver public presentations and author reports on behalf of the City and the department
- Identify risks and develop mitigation strategies
- Achieve results and deliver on commitments
- Lead by example, with openness to new ideas, and transparency in decision-making
- Support staff within the division, through professional development, training, coaching, and performance management
- Anticipate and analyze trends and investigate opportunities to improve effectiveness
- Facilitate an environment of collaboration, teamwork and innovation within the division
- Provide leadership and coordinate field staff during emergency events or other special events as required
- Provide effective oversight of work involving contractors, such as reviewing reports, administering contacts, performance, and deliverables
- Demonstrate the highest standard of professionalism, work ethic and integrity
Policies and Practices
- Accountable for the team’s compliance with Occupational Health and Safety regulations and all other regulatory requirements
- Develop and maintain policies and practices to support effective maintenance, protection and operational standards for horticulture and turf services
- Manage service-level agreements with external agencies and organizations
- Establish and update service standards and take corrective action as necessary
- Recommend policy updates as required
- Prepare and manage capital and operating budgets, including monthly variance reporting
- Monitor key performance indicators, and report to stakeholders as required
- Develop project cost estimates and budgets
- Manage project financials and other resource requirements Perform other related activities as required
A degree, diploma or Trades Qualification in horticulture, arboriculture or other park- related field supplemented with management and leadership coursework.
5-7 years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in a management capacity.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership
To apply for this opportunity you will need to create an online profile or log back in to our career portal at www.victoria.ca/jobs - only online submission will be considered. All applications must be submitted online by 4:30 pm on the closing date noted on the posting. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume
City of Victoria is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We are committed to ensuring that reasonable accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment cycle and will provide reasonable accommodations upon request. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at HR@victoria.ca