BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Chief Diversity OfficerRequisition ID: 16634
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Here is your opportunity to bring your exceptional leadership and change management skills to the newly created role of Chief Diversity Officer for the City of Vancouver. As catalyst, leader, collaborator and educator, you will work with all departments, services and programs at the City, developing partnerships and champions across the organization to facilitate systemic change in support of The City’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Reporting to the City Manager’s Office, you will have full support at the highest level for this important initiative that will continue to advance The City toward the objective of excellence in local government.
The Ideal Candidate
As a solid subject matter expert and respected leader in the theory and practice of diversity and inclusion in the workplace, you bring a demonstrated track record and are tied into a diversity resource network. You possess the following leadership attributes:
- Visionary: one who sees the big picture and the end result and who builds trust and inspires others to join in the journey;
- Strategic deliverer: you have created an inspiring vision, then translated the strategy into workable action plans with clear targets and measurements that demonstrate success;
- Excellent communicator and facilitator: articulate, clear, confident and collaborative with a high EQ and the ability to relate to people in all walks of life;
- A change agent: proven success in bringing about transformational change in a complex environment;
- Influencer and relationship-builder: adept at working across departments and functions, convening, influencing and engaging busy colleagues and their teams in delivering on the vision;
- Organizationally savvy: understand and can work effectively within the unique culture of a public sector organization, ideally with an understanding and true affinity for municipal government;
- Highly collaborative: you enjoy working with others and are adept at identifying partners and influencing organizational champions to further your cause;
- A role model: you bring relevant lived experience combined with a broad perspective lens on diversity.
The Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) will implement an Equity Framework and will lead the Office of Equity and Diversity, which will be a resource to all City of Vancouver departments, services, and programs. The CDO will act as catalyst, leader, collaborator, convener, and educator across the City’s business units. The Office of Equity and Diversity will provide the organization with the policies, tools, and support to maintain the commitment to equity and a diverse workplace reflective of the communities it serves, including sustaining an organizational culture that is inclusive, welcoming and supportive of diversity.
- Reports to: City Manager’s Office
- Direct Reports: 2 staff
- Degree in social sciences or related field focused on equity and diversity issues or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- 10 years of experience as an organizational leader guiding and facilitating large scale diversity, equity, access and inclusion efforts
- Experience at a municipality or sizeable employer with a unionized and non-union workforce
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Lived experience with diversity, inclusion and equity considerations in a workplace environment.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Human Resources,Social Services
Posted: February 14, 2020, 3:43 pm
Expires: March 15, 2020, 11:59 pm