BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Traffic AssistantRequisition ID: 16555
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Traffic Assistants are responsible for conducting pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicle counts; observing traffic trends in the field; and accurately preparing and maintaining records on traffic volume and patterns.
This position will work varying shifts typically on weekdays with the possibility of some weekend and split shift work. This position will also be required to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Duties of the Traffic Assistants include:
- Conducting field investigations; making observations, data entry and basic data analysis;
- Conducting traffic counts by operating a manual traffic counter.
- Installation and removal of portable vehicle & bicycle counters
- Observing traffic in the field and recording pertinent volume or pattern data.
- Performing a variety of related traffic field studies, noting pertinent information and calculating data as required.
- Compiling a variety of data and records pertaining to traffic control systems.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience with Vandocs & Hansen would be considered an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn software related to traffic counting applications are required.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain simple records related to the work.
- Ability to make elementary arithmetic calculations and prepare simple sketches.
- Ability to work independently and with others to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work outside in inclement weather.
Driver License and Record Checks
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: May 2020
Position End Date: September 2020 (with possibility of extension)
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-012: $22.48 to $26.36 per hour
Number of Positions: 25
Application Close: March 1, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Traffic Services
Posted: February 14, 2020, 3:42 pm
Expires: March 1, 2020, 11:59 pm