BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Driver Trainer IIRequisition ID: 17038
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Driver Trainer will deliver the Driver Safety Training Program to City employees who drive vehicles or operate mobile machinery for work purposes. Trainers will provide a mix of classroom training, simulator training, and on-the-road training. Trainers will audit, coach, grade and/or certify employees to operate vehicles and machinery to driving standards and practices to meet compliance with the National Safety Code and WorkSafe BC. This position will assist the Driver Safety Compliance Officers in the development of training courses, execution of accident investigations, research of industry standard and practices, and will support the mentors in the delivery of their program. This position will be responsible for maintaining and securing confidential documents and personal information.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Directly reports to the Manager, Driver Safety and Compliance in the Driver Services Division. Has ongoing contact with senior managers, managers, supervisors and workers of all business units.
- 60% - Delivery of Driver Safety Training Program
- Instructs, conducts road tests and certifies drivers for all classes of vehicles (Class 1 through Class 6) in classroom, simulator and on-the-road environments
- Provides remedial training on all levels of driving and equipment operations
- Completes reports on all training in progress and completed
- Makes recommendations on training requirements of drivers and departments
- Makes recommendations to suspend drivers and equipment operators driving and operating privileges
- Prepares drivers to take ICBC road tests for classes 1, 3, and 4
- Performs refreshers courses in all levels of driving and equipment operations
- Instructs, conducts training and assessments on all levels of all mobile equipment (where qualified)
- Performs assessments of drivers as directed
- May train driving of Electric Scooters (motorcycles)
- Will assist in vehicle pre-trip inspections audits
- May teach Air Brakes Certification
- Performs audits of drivers as required
- Drives simulator to other locations (this could be a single unit or a truck and trailer)
- 20% - Assist in the building of training materials and communication brochures for a variety (over 50) of courses and to explain associated regulations and procedures
- 5% - Assist the Compliance Safety Officers in the execution of accident investigations such as site measurement and recording and in correspondence with VPD, RCMP and ICBC
- 5% - Assist the Safety Compliance Officers in the research of industry standards and practices and of associated regulations and procedures
- 5% - Provide guidance and support to the mentors in terms of procedures and regulations and to provide expert knowledge in the delivery of training programs and expert knowledge of the operation of equipment
- 5% - Provides recommendations advice to the Manager,Driver Safety and Compliance and Driver Compliance Officers in cases where a decision is being made to recommend continuing or withdrawing driving responsibilities and when driving authorization is removed, recommends the conditions for reinstatement
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 education required
- Class 1, 3 and 5 licence with air endorsement
- Clean drivers record; no criminal code convictions
- Defensive Driving Instructor certificate
- Air Brake Instructors certificate, or ability to obtain the same
- Forklift Certification, or ability to obtain the same
- Crane Certification (to 22 tons), or ability to obtain the same
- Ability to take and complete all levels of training required to conduct training on a driver simulator
- Ability to work some afternoon and night shifts (when required)
- Ability to work on weekends (as required)
- Experience conducting driver assessments preferred.
- Experience designing training courses and delivery for a variety of user groups including training trainers preferred.
- Experience cooperatively working with Regulatory representatives.
- Experience working in a public sector environment an asset
- Must be physically able to inspect vehicles (getting under, onto and off of all types of vehicles and equipment)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of the National Safety Code and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation
- Thorough knowledge of BC Motor Vehicle Act, regulations, including WorkSafe BC and
- Thorough knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated ability to implement practical processes for regulatory compliance
- Training design and adult education concepts and principles
- Strong oral and written communication and facilitation skills
- Team player and ability to develop effective working relationships
- Must have extensive computer skills to assist in developing and reading complicated spread sheets, writing comprehensive reports and training material as well as developing numerous training power point presentations.
Business Unit/Department: Fire and Rescue Services (1600)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-022: $33.60 to $39.56 per hour
Application Close: February 23, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Education & Training,Fleet & Driver Services/Management
Posted: February 14, 2020, 3:38 pm
Expires: February 23, 2020, 11:59 pm