BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Trades II - TilesetterRequisition ID: 17233
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Tilesetter performs skilled work entailing the responsibility for the new construction/ setting and maintenance of various tiling materials (ceramic, stone, synthetics) on Parks buildings and structures throughout Vancouver’s network of Parks and Recreation facilities, such as swimming pools, saunas, and community centres. It is also expected the position will work in close collaboration with clients in determining aesthetic preferences but act independently in the technical applications of tiles and stone veneers and in the selection of materials and scope of repair and new construction. The positon works on projects both indoors and outdoors
- Covers, protects, repairs and decorates exterior and interior walls, floors, ceilings, fireplaces, swimming pools, saunas, showers and other surfaces.
- Utilizes tiling materials including ceramic, mosaics, glass, quarry tiles, slate, engineered stone, terrazzo, porcelain and marble or granite slabs.
- Reads and interprets architectural drawings and material specifications to determine tile layout, finish and installation requirements
- Prepare surfaces for tiling which may involve applying a variety of products such as membranes, mortar beds and underlayment.
- Selects, mixes, applies and spreads mortar, cement, mastic, epoxy or other adhesives to the surface to be tiled.
- Lays and sets mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural and floor designs
- Mixes, lays, grinds and polishes terrazzo surfaces. May install marble using plaster and wire methods
- Complies with safety precautions and regulations on safe and proper use of tools and equipment related to the work.
- Uses the application of fundamental trade practices to a variety of tiling tasks of some complexity and recommends appropriate materials for specific jobs.
- Drives a vehicle to transport materials, tools, and equipment to the work site.
- As required, provides direction to a helper assigned to provide unskilled or semi-skilled assistance for the specific job.
- As required, designs patterns for the area to be tiled
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of the 10th school grade supplemented by technical courses related to the work plus considerable related experience in tiling, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Completion of an apprenticeship in Tiling preferred, such as:
- Red Seal – Tilesetter
- ITA Certified Tilesetter
- Valid Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in a variety of tiling tasks.
- Considerable knowledge of methods, materials, tools and practices employed in tiling.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions of the trade.
- Working knowledge of the relative requirements of the various departments.
- Ability to design tiling layouts for departments as required.
- Ability to assign and supervise the work of subordinates engaged in tiling tasks.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and work from sketches, blueprints, and drawings.
- Ability to maintain simple records, estimate materials required and requisition parts and materials as required.
- Skill in the use and care of all tools, material and equipment used in the trade.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and computer skills.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2020
Position End Date: July 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $39.53 per hour
Application Close: February 23, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Construction
Posted: February 14, 2020, 3:31 pm
Expires: February 23, 2020, 11:59 pm