BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Program Leader - Community Events Programs
Temporary Full-Time (35 hours/week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Recreation and Culture Department an enthusiastic individual with strong communication and promotion skills to supplement their regular staff during the spring and summer months. Responsibilities include assisting with the coordination of the City’s celebration of Canada Day By The Bay, Tour De White Rock, Sea Festival and other community events. This position will also assist in coordinating event logistics, volunteer management and supervision, creating and distributing marketing materials, and event set-up and tear down. Evening and weekend work may be required and the successful applicant must have access to a personal vehicle while working.
- Completion of Grade 12 complemented by some related experience, preferably in municipal recreational work and some supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience; preferred post-secondary studies in the areas of recreation, leisure, social and/or event marketing and/or communications, education or related disciplines;
- Working knowledge of organized community recreation principles and practices including the safe and proper use of equipment and facilities;
- Ability to plan, schedule, implement and lead assigned recreational programs and provide guidance and assistance to volunteers regarding instructional duties and safe and proper use of equipment and facilities;
- Proficiency with standard office equipment and computer software including Microsoft Office programs;
- Sound knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic;
- Ability to develop, draft and maintain various types of promotional materials and publications with creativity, detail and accuracy and ability to prepare and maintain files, records, reports and related material;
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written and active listening and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, volunteers, program participants and the public, and to make a positive contribution to a team environment;
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service balanced with the application of best practices and organizational policies;
- Ability to prioritize work load and manage concurrent projects, to work independently, to perform tasks under periodic work pressure, and to exercise initiative and make decisions in accordance with applicable rules, regulations and policies;
- Must be physically able to carry out duties related to set up and take down of community events;
- Possess valid first aid certification by appointment’s start date;
- Availability to work on days, evenings, and/or weekends;
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license or equivalent with a demonstrated safe driving record by the appointment’s start date;
- Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check.
The City has applied for the Canada Summer Jobs grant and if approved, applicants must meet the grant criteria. Review the Government of Canada Canada Summer Jobs Website for detailed information about the program.
The hourly wage for this position is $21.66 (2019 rates) with select benefits offered. The expected duration of this appointment is approximately twelve (12) weeks, beginning in mid-May 2020. If your experience and education have prepared you for success and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit a cover letter, resume, your current driver’s abstract, and a copy of your first aid certification.
Application Deadline: 4:30 PM, Monday, February 23, 2020
Recruitment Reference: 2020-13
Thank you for your interest. Only successful applicants will be contacted.