BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Sport Leader - CampsCome join our amazing Team!
Position Type: Auxiliary
Department: Community Sports
Applicant Closing Date: February 23, 2020
Anticipated Start Date: March, 2020
Multiple positions available
The Richmond Olympic Oval is a breathtaking venue on the banks of the Fraser River. Located in the City of Richmond, a culturally diverse and geographically unique community centrally located on Canada's West Coast, in Metro Vancouver. The Richmond Olympic Oval is an international centre of excellence for sports, health and wellness, culture and entertainment used by members of our community and those seeking to wear the maple leaf on the international stage.
We are looking for enthusiastic Sport Leaders for our Spring Break Sport Camps from March 16-27, 2020*.
* There is also the opportunity to continue on by assisting with our other Programs, Group Bookings, and Summer Camps (July/August 2020).
This is a fantastic opportunity for students with sporting and/or coaching experience to join the Oval team. If you are a leader by nature, committed to helping others achieve success, passionate about coaching and creating activity lesson plans, then this is the role for you! We are looking for individuals with all types of sporting backgrounds. Please highlight any experience you have in a sport as a coach and/or player.
Examples of sport camps that we offer: badminton, skating, floorball, golf, climbing, dance and baseball. To view all Spring Break Camps, please visit: http://richmondoval.ca/community-sport/sport-camps/spring-break-sport-camps/
A day in the life of the Sport Leader - Camps includes:
- Working in a team environment to ensure the participant has a positive experience while at the Richmond Olympic Oval.
- Assists in the creation of sport activities and schedules for camps.
- Monitoring and maintaining the integrity, appearance, and safety of all Oval sport equipment and surroundings.
- Ensuring a safe environment for all and overseeing sign-in and sign-out of camp participants.
- Coaching and instructing activities and lessons with enthusiasm, instructing based on objectives, and adjusting activities based on age, skill and athletic levels.
- Demonstrating leadership, energy, and enthusiasm to the teaching environment each day.
- Ensuring that appropriate skills are being taught to participants and progression through levels takes place.
- Demonstrating support to all other sport leaders, as needed.
- Recording and communicating feedback, strengths, and weaknesses with supervisors, to ensure important information is being communicated.
- Providing exceptional customer service.
- Reporting to the Sport Camp Programmer and Head Coach, Community Sport
- Other camp related tasks as assigned.
Must be available to work Monday through Friday 8:30am-4:30pm March 16-27, 2020
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include:
- Experience working with children in a sport camp or related setting as a leader or volunteer.
- Proven athletic ability and strong knowledge of a variety of sports and age-appropriate sport activities for children aged 3-12 years old.
- Valid Standard First Aid, CPR-C and AED Certificate.
- Ability and confidence to coach and lead large groups.
- Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, courteous, and effective manner.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, prioritization, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a team environment is essential.
- Flexibility with availability.
- Must be able to complete a successful Criminal Record Check.
- Successful completion of Grade 12 preferred.
- Participation or graduation in a recognized, sport related post-secondary program is an asset.
- Sport Specific NCCP Certificates an asset.
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills, Kids Can Move, or Run Jump Throw, or equivalent training an asset.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!
Location: Richmond, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation
Posted: February 12, 2020, 9:04 am
Expires: February 23, 2020, 11:59 pm