BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Administrative Professional (Program Assistant I)Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Parks & Environment
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Parks & Environment Department is seeking an Administrative Professional (Program Assistant I) who will be responsible for varied and moderately complex administrative and clerical duties.
You are: Highly organized, proactive, technologically proficient, adaptable, detail-oriented, and collaborative.
- Assists in coordinating and facilitating the Department's activities related to legislative mandates; tracks the processing of permits, approvals, and orders; advises staff of pending deadlines and information requirements, keeps senior staff informed of status of various activities; coordinates efforts to resolve issues of nonpayment of fees or appeals/reviews of fee assessments; maintains and prepares time sheets for department staff.
- Handles bookings; responds to requests from the public; assesses individual requirements and actively promotes and recommends suitable locations and services; informs of regulations, restrictions and applicable charges; determines eligibility for fee waiver; ensures insurance and permit requirements are met; establishes conditions and terms of contract; liaises operational personnel regarding available facilities, events coordination and customer service; coordinates receipt of support services as required; responds to customer complaints.
- Posts, compiles, checks, processes, maintains, and controls a variety of records, files, and statistics related to departmental operations; reconciles and balances complex activity control information requiring procedural determinations; performs non complex calculations as required; generates lists, invoices, and other information from databases and spreadsheets, identifies unutilized project resources and brings to the attention of a superior; monitors charges assessed for activities and issues purchase orders as required.
- May supervise the work of one or more subordinates engaged in clerical and office support tasks; requisitions temporary clerical assistance as required.
- Develops, and upon approval, implements new and/or improved office methods and procedures to increase efficiency and accommodate department requirements and work schedules; prepares and maintains documentation on new procedures.
- Composes non routine correspondence, as required; types from rough draft or general instructions a variety of material including reports, correspondence, agendas, permits and other documents using word processing equipment; may attend meetings and take minutes or carries out assignments from instructions from meetings.
- Provides information and assistance to the public on a variety of matters pertaining to departmental operations, procedures, and services; handles inquiries requiring explanation of rules, regulations and procedures applicable to the work of the department where a variety of data is required to answer or resolve complaints or related matters; circulates applications to required agencies and follows up on status of same.
- Assists in planning and arranging information meetings, seminars, and workshops; gathers and organizes materials; attends meetings and takes notes as required; obtains information from external sources on assigned projects; researches file documentation, follows up on phone and written information inquiries.
- Monitors departmental administrative budget expenditures and checks that expenditures have been allocated to appropriate accounts; investigates variances between budgeted and actual expenditures and takes corrective action or notifies superior of potential cost over runs.
- Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Completion of the 12th grade supplemented by commercial, computer and word processing courses, preferably completion of a certificate program in office or business administration, plus considerable related experience; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the functions, regulations, and procedures governing departmental activities as related to the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures and of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic and technical terminology applicable to the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of computer applications as related to the work performed.
- Sound knowledge of the organization and functions of the department and related Metro Vancouver Regional District departments.
- Ability to assist in the coordination of departmental activities and to assess and act upon information requirements.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to develop and implement upon approval new and/or revised work methods and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of contacts, provide information and assistance and function effectively while dealing with contentious matters and at times abuse from external contacts.
- Ability to arrange meetings, prepare agendas, take minutes, and follow up on actions from meetings.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise and check the work of a small group of subordinates engaged in clerical and office support tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to compile, maintain, and control a variety of records, reports, and files, to compose non routine correspondence, and type a variety of material.
- Ability to operate standard office appliances including a computer terminal and word processing equipment and to develop and maintain databases, spreadsheets and other computer office support tools.
- Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by February 25, 2020.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Office Administration
Posted: February 11, 2020, 10:36 am
Expires: February 25, 2020, 4:30 pm