BC Local Government Job Posting Service
The City of Port Moody is a growing community of 34,000 residents located 30 minutes east of downtown Vancouver at the head of the Burrard Inlet and just steps from seaside parks, mountain trails and lakes. To achieve our mission of providing services that enhance the quality of life for all of our residents, we are looking for motivated individuals to complement our team.
Title Career Firefighter
# of Vacancies
February 10 - 28, 2020
The City of Port Moody is seeking applicants for the position of professional firefighter with Port Moody Fire Rescue. This position is initially as a flex firefighter within the suppression division, with a work and pay schedule prescribed within the current Collective Agreement between the City of Port Moody & IAFF, Local 2399. Successful candidates will form part of a 2020/2021 eligibility list, to be hired and trained as operational needs require. An offer of employment from this process may be for a temporary position, with the possibility of becoming regular / continuing.
1. Recruitment Schedule for 2020 (all dates are subject to change as needed):
- February 10 - 28th Applications Open
- March 1 - 15th Resume Screening
- * March 28th Psychomotor & Skills Evaluation Practice (for invitees only)
- April 4 / 5th Psychomotor Evaluation & Skills Assessment
- April 15th Final day to complete V02 Max test with Fortius*
- April 18th Psychometric / Aptitude Testing
- April 27 - May 8th Panel Interview process
- May 18 - 29th Ride-Along Evaluations
Documentation Required (PDF copies, documents named as below)
- Completed on-line application
- High school transcript (diploma not required)
- Post-secondary transcripts
- NFPA 1001 proof of completion with IFSAC / Pro Board Seal
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Operations proof of completion
- Drivers Licence (front and back photo)
- Drivers Abstract (current within 30 days of application)
- Commercial Driving Record (current within 30 days of application)
- First Responder Licence
- Other documentation related only to prerequisite or preferred qualifications *Note* -
Pre-recruitment physical fitness testing.
Port Moody Fire Rescue has retained the services of Fortius Sport & Health, 3713 Kensington Ave, Burnaby, BC V5B 0A7, to complete pre-recruitment physical fitness testing. This testing occurs at their Burnaby facility and consists of a VO2 Max testing process (maximum oxygen uptake analysis). The test is completed on a treadmill using incremental increases in load while wearing a 50 lb vest, simulating the wearing of firefighter turnout gear and equipment. More information on the testing process, expectations and booking procedures can be found here The costs associated with the test will be borne by the applicant ($135.00 plus GST).
Applicants who have previously completed a VO2 max test with Fortius after August 10th, 2019, may request that Fortius forward that information to Port Moody Fire Rescue by way of a release form, available here, in order to avoid having to undertake the evaluation again. The cost of this service is $15.00 (+ GST). As well, Fortius provides a service to review the testing performed by other agencies on behalf of Port Moody Fire Rescue for a fee of $45.00 (+ GST). If the VO2 Max test is scheduled to occur after the closing of the application posting, proof of successful completion will need to be produced before a candidate may participate in the next stage of the process. The results for all who complete the V02 max test will be forwarded to Port Moody Fire Rescue for review.
PMFR skills evaluation and psychomotor assessment
Applicants may be invited to a skills and psychomotor assessment at a facility designated by Port Moody Fire Rescue during this recruitment process. If invited, applicants should review the testing, inclusive of required proper apparel and requirements to participate. An outline of this assessment can be found here. Only those who have been selected to move forward to each subsequent step in the recruitment process will be personally contacted by City staff with necessary information. Applicants not moving forward in the process will be informed by email. Please do not contact Port Moody Fire Rescue or the City of Port Moody Human Resources with questions regarding the status of the process. All necessary communications will be initiated by City of Port Moody staff.
Successful Candidates –
- Will have to submit to an enhanced criminal record check and references analysis to ensure suitability
- Will have to successfully complete a medical exam based on NFPA standards
Fortius VO2 Max testing information
Candidate request for release of testing results from Fortius
PMFR Skills Assessment and psychomotor evaluations
- Completion of Grade 12
- Must be at least 19 years of age on the date of application
- Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant with legal entitlement to work in Canada
- Valid Class 3 BC Driver’s licence without restrictions with airbrake endorsement (automatic transmission is okay).
- Good driving record with less than 6 points currently and no DUI convictions
- No conviction of a criminal offense without a pardon that would preclude safety sensitive work
- Completed VO2 max testing with Fortius Sport & Health (or completed within past 6 months – see *NOTE*)
- Successful completion of an IFSAC/Pro Board NFPA 1001 Firefighter Training Program
- Completion of an accredited NFPA 472 Hazardous Material Operations certification
- Current License holder of a First Responder Level III (with AED and Spinal Endorsement) Certification & British Columbia EMA FR3 License that does not expire prior to calendar year-end.
- Minimum one year cumulative work experience, preferably in an area related to the construction trades or work that requires the use of motorized equipment or machinery
- Minimum 30 credits of accredited post-secondary education. Trades training or military training may be applied as an equivalent. Full time attendance at a Fire Training institute for a minimum of six weeks will be granted an equivalency of 10 credits. Credits may be obtained during the recruitment process.
- Living Boundaries: Upon employment, successful candidates must reside within one of the following municipalities:
- Port Moody
- University Endowment Lands
- New Westminster
- Port Coquitlam
- Pitt Meadows
- Maple Ridge
- White Rock
- City of Langley
- Township of Langley
- Structural firefighting experience
- Forestry firefighting experience
- EMR, PCP or ACP License
- Functionally relevant work experience
- Past experience in emergency services
British Columbia [BC]
Compensation - Hourly
$5768 per month starting rate
Compensation & Benefits Overview
The City of Port Moody strives to be an employer of choice and offers an excellent benefits package as well as professional development opportunities.
Location: Port Moody, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Fire / Rescue / First Aid Services
Posted: February 10, 2020, 4:23 pm
Expires: February 28, 2020, 11:59 pm