BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Live Where You Work
Emergency Program Coordinator, Public Safety
Temporary 6 Month Opportunity
The Cowichan Valley Regional District (CVRD) is a thriving community of 80,000 situated on the southern part of Vancouver Island. Just 50 km north of Victoria and 30 km south of Nanaimo, the Cowichan Valley offers a warm climate,
affordable housing, and numerous parks, recreational, cultural, and social opportunities.
Are you a dynamic and progressive professional with a passion for emergency management and community preparedness? We have a unique opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to take the reins in this area to provide coverage for a short-term leave. If this sounds like the challenge for you, consider joining the CVRD as the Emergency Program Coordinator within our Public Safety Division.
The Emergency Program Coordinator is responsible for the maintenance of the CVRD Emergency Program. Your role will involve liaising with volunteers, external stakeholders, and staff to create awareness of and promote emergency preparedness. Over the term of this position, you’ll work along with a dynamic team towards maintaining and strengthening the emergency program to ensure it is effective in the face of a community emergency.
While the job description for this position outlines the full extent of the Emergency Program Coordinator role, this temporary position will be primarily project-based and narrower in scope, focusing on the following areas:
- Promoting and facilitating public education and awareness of emergency preparedness throughout the region as part of a community engagement strategy.
- General coordination of volunteers, Local Emergency Response Teams, Emergency Operations Centre members and others.
- Coordinating the Emergency Support Services (ESS) program at CVRD including the development of a mobile unit to support reception centres and/or group lodging locations.
- In an emergency, supporting the response of the Regional Emergency Operations Centre as required.
For this temporary position, we are seeking the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree in a related field is strongly preferred
- Background/experience in emergency management, public safety, or community services
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with volunteers
- Strong attention to detail
- Project management experience would be an asset
- Well-organized and self-motivated
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 or equivalent
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
As the ideal candidate, you are a great communicator, able to develop effective working relationships with everyone from elected officials to staff to volunteers to members of the public and the media. You thrive under pressure, are calm and focused in emergency situations, and can work long hours under stressful conditions. You embrace the fact that emergency management often happens outside typical office hours, and are always up for a challenge. You are willing and able to respond to emergencies immediately as they occur, and as such, ideally you live in the Cowichan Valley region or are willing to relocate for the term of the position.
This position is flexible and hours of work can be a minimum of 17.5 hours/week up to full time or 35 hours/week as preferred by the candidate and operational needs. This position may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, as well as responding to emergency events.
The CVRD offers a competitive salary starting at $74,212.30 per year and a comprehensive benefits package including flex time. Please visit our website at www.cvrd.bc.ca/jobs for further job details. To apply, please forward your resume in confidence to the Human Resources Division before 4:30 p.m. on February 23, 2020 quoting Competition PS20024-E via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org (please use either MSWord or pdf format), mail at 175 Ingram Street, DUNCAN BC V9L 1N8, or fax at 250.746.2522.
Please note – applications will be screened as they are received and a candidate may be selected before the stated closing date.
Cowichan Valley Regional District
175 Ingram Street, Duncan, BC V9L 1N8
Phone: (250) 746-2518 | Fax: (250) 746-2522