BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Senior Manager of Comox Strathcona Waste Management Services
The Comox Valley is an attractive geographic location, rich in rural agriculture, vibrant urban development, meandering coastline and dramatic mountains. There are spectacular outdoor activities available throughout the region, offering unlimited possibilities to current and prospective residents.
At the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) we work collaboratively, continually look toward the future and strive to be the change we wish to see in our communities. Our values coupled with a commitment to leadership excellence and a resolute focus on serving the residents of the Comox Valley, help to create an organizational culture that’s second to none. What we do goes beyond work, offering our employees the support to achieve and maintain a healthy balance between work and lifestyle. Working with the CVRD is a plus for everyone.
We are currently seeking a Senior Manager of CSWM Services to join our Engineering Services Branch. The Engineering Services Branch is responsible for all matters relating to Comox Valley Water Supply System, Electoral Area water distribution/supply systems, Courtenay, Comox sewerage treatment discharge system, Electoral Area liquid waste, rainwater management for the Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD), and Comox Strathcona Waste Management (CSWM) Services. Reporting to the General Manager of Engineering Services, the primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Providing overall strategic leadership to the Manager of CSWM Operations and the Manager of CSWM Projects in support of the provision of solid waste services.
- Developing, recommending and implementing long-term operating, maintenance and capital improvement plans in accordance with the CVRD corporate strategy and business plan, regulations and environmental requirements, and other related factors.
- Developing project plans, budgets and business cases to justify maintenance and infrastructure improvement work. Provides strategic oversight to the tendering, negotiation and awarding of contracts to consultants and contractors for equipment purchases and service provisions.
- Providing advice and technical information to the General Manager of Engineering Services (GM) and CSWM committee(s) and the board regarding current operating and maintenance concerns, future demand and infrastructure requirements and other associated issues. Recommends and develops new and revised policies and bylaws for review and acceptance by the GM and advisory committee(s).
- Preparing the budget for solid waste services and provides input for the annual work plan; controls spending within the approved budget and reports to the GM any anticipated variances. Identifies resource requirements to undertake work plans and communicates and determines appropriate actions including the use of temporary staff, contractors and consultants.
- Building and maintaining effective collaborative relationships with staff and stakeholders including contractors and consultants, developers, general public, local and senior governments, non-government agencies, and community groups in order to accomplish objectives, resolve issues and complaints, provide advice and education, and remain in the forefront of trends and developments that could potentially impact the CVRD.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Forward thinking and creative with the ability to exercise sound judgement when making decisions
- An enthusiastic leader, skilled in mentoring and coaching others
- A strong communicator with demonstrated success in facilitation, consensus building, and conflict resolution
- Diplomatic and tactful with the ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with stakeholders
- Committed to continuous quality improvement and operational excellence
- Educated at the post-secondary level with a university environmental degree or technical diploma or a closely related technical discipline, supplemented by business and project management certification.
- Knowledgeable of solid waste issues as evidenced by extensive years of service working in the solid waste field in Canada with a minimum of six years of experience in a leadership capacity leading public sector regional solid waste management in a unionized work environment
- An advanced user of Microsoft Office Suite, with strong utilization skills with Adobe Acrobat, Explorer, web utilization skills and SharePoint applications
To review the complete job description and to apply go to the CVRD website www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/jobs.
The closing date for this position is February 28, 2020 at 3:00 pm. Applications for available positions with the CVRD must be received prior to the indicated closing date and time. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Comox Valley Regional District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals.