BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Operations Worker IV - GolfRequisition ID: 16915
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2050 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Under the supervision of the Golf Course Superintendent, the successful candidate will be responsible for a variety of tasks which can include: mowing turf, operating mowers and other related golf course equipment, fertilizing, spraying, sodding, seeding, aeration, top dressing, raking bunkers, setting up the golf course strategically to expedite pace of play, irrigation maintenance, drainage maintenance, digging, planning, weeding, raking, edging, sweeping, blowing, clearing pathways, using line trimmers and general turf care equipment, and performing other related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must also be prepared to work in various golf course locations within the organization. The successful candidate must also be willing and able to work early mornings (start time as early as 5 AM), weekends and statutory holidays for the months of May to September.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school supplemented by related courses where applicable and sound related experience in one or more areas of skill development preferred
- Valid Pesticide Applicators Certificate
- Level 1 First Aid
- Some post-secondary education related to turf grass management or agronomy is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices and rules of the safe operation of mobile and stationary golf course maintenance equipment
- Considerable knowledge of the game of golf (preferred)
- Sound knowledge of Golf Operations service standards, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in golf course maintenance
- Ability to perform minor adjustments to mowing equipment such as setting heights of cut and reel to bedknife adjustments
- Working knowledge of automated irrigation systems
- Ability to exercise considerable independence of judgment and action in the work
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary
Position Start Date: April 2020
Position End Date: September 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-320: $29.52
Application Close: February 28, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Parks & Recreation
Posted: February 7, 2020, 1:30 pm
Expires: February 28, 2020, 11:59 pm