BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Superintendent - Park Board (Urban Forestry)Requisition ID: 15880
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Superintendent Urban Forestry is responsible for managing the day-to-day operation and maintenance of Urban Forestry Services while ensuring work is completed in an efficient and cost effective manner. The Superintendent will undertake all duties in a manner that contributes to Park Board initiatives such as the Urban Forest Strategy and VanPlay as well as City-wide goals related to Climate Action. This position is responsible for implementing the tree planting, stump removal, tree watering and young tree culture program for street trees, and to a lesser extent, park trees. The Superintendent will supervise staff including hiring, evaluation, discipline, support, coaching, training and development and representing the employer in the grievance process. This position is also responsible for planning tree planting programs, establishing work schedules and procedures and coordinating activities with other work units; Building relationships with customer and clients to improve service levels and increase customer satisfaction; Performing crew audits to ensure compliance with safety, environmental and quality standards; Conducting job costing and bid tendering and reviewing various paperwork/invoices.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The main focus of this role is to enhance operational efficiencies and the management and coordination of day-to-day operation and maintenance of the Urban Forestry program. The Superintendent establishes and maintains effective communication and coordination with other divisions and departments in the Park Board, the City, consultants, and contractors; with different levels of government, outside agencies, not for profit organizations, associations and the general public. This role is also responsible to set priorities for maintenance of and coordinates the use of equipment with supervisors and superintendents in other divisions. The Superintendent participates in Park Board team meetings, conducts staff meetings and presents crew talks, and is responsible to provide supervision and leadership to staff including hiring, training, coaching, and performance management.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a university, institute of technology or college of horticulture, urban forestry, or parks management, supplemented by courses in horticulture, arboriculture, project management and supervisory training or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience, preferably within the public sector and union environment
- ISA Certified Arborist designation with TRAQ endorsement
- Experience in budget management
- Demonstrated experience in HR management, including recruiting, dealing with discipline, representing the Employer at grievance hearings and resolve/deny grievances
- Demonstrated experience and ability to simultaneously manage and review a number of projects
- Demonstrated experience in project management
- Demonstrated experience in applying policies and collective agreements working in consultation with Human Resources
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Urban Forestry principles, practices and techniques
- Ability to provide feedback, coaching and mentoring to challenge and develop employees
- Ability to achieve results, set challenging goals, prioritize tasks, overcome obstacles, accept accountability, set standards and responsibilities, provide leadership with commitment to excellence
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of urban forestry operations, maintenance and effective customer service
- Good working knowledge of tree identification
- Ability to plan for, assign work and supervise a diverse workgroup and/or contractors engaged in urban forestry operations
- Excellent knowledge of budget management
- Good knowledge of and demonstrated ability to work with civic, provincial and federal levels of government
- Good knowledge and experience relating to federal and provincial legislation, acts and regulations related to urban forestry
- Knowledge of methods and requirements to provide excellent customer service
- Knowledge of pertinent WCB and OH&S standards
- Well-developed interpersonal skills including ability to coach and train others
- Strong communications skills with the ability to formulate and articulate ideas and opinions
- Excellent ability to resolve conflict and to lead problems solving in an inclusive positive manner with the ability to articulate own goals and objectives of all parties
- Proficient in standard Microsoft business software; PowerPoint, Excel, Email, Word
- Some knowledge and familiarity with SAP financial reporting software desirable
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Posting End Date: March 1, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Forestry/Arboriculture
Posted: February 7, 2020, 1:23 pm
Expires: March 1, 2020, 11:59 pm