BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager, Construction and Capital ProjectsPlanning & Protective Services – Regional Housing
Exempt Management (2 year term)
$108,597 to $127,761 annually
Review of applications begins
4:00pm on February 26, 2020; however, the position will remain open until filled.
The anticipated length of this term assignment is 2 years.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Regional Housing, the Manager of Construction and Capital Projects provides technical expertise for the CRD’s Capital Region Housing Corporation (CRHC) and assists in achieving its strategic priorities in the project management of the renewal and redevelopment of the current housing portfolio and the development of new affordable housing.
Key Accountabilities / Position Outcomes
- Identifies, and provides recommendations and guidance to the organization and the Board of Directors on viable capital projects to ensure Board members are able to make informed decisions that support the corporation’s mandate.
- Responsible for standardized specification for CRHC housing stock and new development. Consults with staff to develop specifications.
- Applies for funding and financing, including alternative sources of funds such as community investment funds.
- Works interdependently with other Regional Housing (Operations, Planning and Development, Projects and Initiatives) and CRD divisions (Finance, HR, Communications, IT) to achieve Regional Housing objectives.
- Works collaboratively with the Manager of Planning and Development during the Pre-Construction phase including
- Participate in all preconstruction “All Consultant” meetings. Provide advice on site use, floor plans and layouts from a cost and constructability perspective
- Examine construction cost line items in proformas.
- Assist in identifying key constraints and timelines for project start-up.
- Prepare construction related estimates for funding submission, schematic design, development, working drawing phases, and pre-tender phases
- Provide constructability feedback, value engineering analysis, construction readiness assessments and provide recommendations on construction feasibility, availability and cost of labour and materials.
- Prepare CCDC contracts, review and tender trade contract along with hired Construction Management firms
- Acts as project manager during the Construction phase for building envelope remediation, redevelopment projects and new affordable housing projects under development with duties including:
- Produce project charters, risk registers and risk analysis for senior management
- Developing capital budgets and monitoring expenses against the budget
- Developing schedules with critical path milestones
- Tendering all contracts for professional services in accordance with CRD procurement policies
- Managing contracts and acting as lead contact for all professional services and the construction team including chairing regular project meetings
- Review and manage the process related to shop drawings, RFIs, Site Instructions, CCNs, change orders, invoicing,
- Managing payments and the claims process during construction and reconcile budgets at end of construction
- Reviewing all contract changes and coordinating change control process –maintain records of all changes and required approvals
- Reporting to funders, Senior Management and Board of Directors on project progress
- Monitoring and assisting the design teams in addressing deficiencies following substantial performance
- Oversee post-completion reviews, verifying close out documentation and one year warranty review process
- Maintaining all records for the project
- Works closely with government and community stakeholders in affordable housing, providing and ensuring positive links with these stakeholders and the CRD; ensuring that the CRD’s interests are maintained at all times.
- Anticipates organizational and client needs, and influences the development of innovative solutions to matters pertaining to the function’s mandates; develops and manages plans to complex issues, finding creative solutions that meet organizational objectives.
- Provides leadership, direction and guidance to staff, contractors and partners of the function.
- Participates in annual budget planning, providing leadership on major capital budgets.
- Works closely with the Senior Manager on all matters pertaining to the housing function and the Planning and Protective Service Area
Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Project Management or related subject area and a minimum of eight to ten years of experience in in the area of construction, building envelope remediation, and asset planning. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Role-specific Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of CCDC contracts including CCDC 5A, 17
- Extensive knowledge of Workers Compensation Act, WorkSafeBC regulations
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of housing finance including new construction costs as well as maintenance and retrofitting; must understand the complete construction process.
- Extensive experience in the management and delivery of major capital projects
- Well-developed skills in negotiation, collaboration, persuasion and influence management.
- Experience with the development and implementation of strategic plan initiatives.
- Experience with and understanding of other levels of government and the ability to establish and maintain effective, collaborative relationships with various stakeholders and internal and external partners.
- Strong knowledge of project management and the ability to generate, coordinate, implement and manage multiple projects to meet required objectives and deadlines.
- Excellent organization, customer service and public relations skills.
- Demonstrated communication and presentation skills, with the ability to explain complex technical and non-technical issues to a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to utilize innovative, effective problem solving techniques to deal with complex issues.
- Proficiency and experience with word processing (MS Word), spreadsheets (MS Excel), presentation (MS PowerPoint) and internet searches.
- Valid BC Driver’s license is required.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Construction,Facilities Management/Development
Posted: February 7, 2020, 11:09 am
Expires: February 26, 2020, 4:00 pm