BC Local Government Job Posting Service
“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
Deputy Director of Financial Services
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbor, and is a scenic forty-five (45) minute drive from BC's capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking or sailing.
The District of Sooke has an employment opportunity for a permanent Deputy Director of Financial Services position. Reporting to the Director of Financial Services, the Deputy Director of Financial Services is responsible for a variety of complex duties. The duties include, but are not limited to, preparing the annual financial statements and coordinating the annual audit process; assisting with preparation of the Five Year Financial Plan; assisting with preparation of the annual Property Tax Rate Bylaw and other related bylaws; assisting with and preparation of other annual municipal financial reports; preparing financial reports for internal and external distribution; preparing reports to Council; managing the day-to-day operations of the Financial Services Department, including Information Technology, and front counter reception staff; ensuring purchasing is in accordance with District policies and best practices; management of Asset Management and stewardship over investment of surplus funds.
To be considered for this role, applicants should have:
- CPA accounting designation (includes CPA CA, CPA CMA, or CPA CGA).
- Minimum of three (3) years in a supervisory role in a government environment.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience at a senior management level. Municipal government experience is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of Public Sector accounting and auditing standards and principles.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting systems within a government environment is preferred.
- Experience automating financial services processes and procedures is highly desirable.
- Experience researching, writing and presenting complex financial reports.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
This position is excluded from the union. The salary for the Deputy Director of Financial Services is $108,306/year, plus an excellent benefit package.
To view the full job description, visit the employment page of our website at www.sooke.ca/employment
Please indicate 2020-004 Deputy Director of Financial Services in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to: email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 4:30 p.m. Sunday, March 1, 2020.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.