BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Director, Regional Planning & Electoral Area ServicesPosition Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Regional Planning & Housing Services
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Regional Planning & Housing Services Department is seeking a Director, Regional Planning & Electoral Area Services who will lead a talented team whose role in the region is to analyze and communicate data; conduct supportive land use, housing, and transportation research; convene on planning issues of regional interest; advocate to other orders of government; and provide leadership by seeking out innovative practices around the world and developing ways to land them in our region. This position will lead the update to Metro 2040, the regional growth strategy, building on its strengths, to better address and integrate emerging and critical regional issues such as climate action, equity, affordability, the changing nature of work, new mobility and automation and to guide growth and investments in major infrastructure to 2050.
You are a proven motivational and collaborative leader, with a strong understanding of, and passion for, regional planning. You are accountable, collegial and comfortable communicating with a wide range of stakeholders and you expect the same from your team members. You have a keen desire to influence and drive positive growth within the team. Your strong work ethic is driven by your desire to get results through the coordinated efforts of those inside and outside the organization, and you recognize the path to those results is driven by a culture of collaborative service. You have excellent written and oral communication skills that can influence diverse audiences with divergent perspectives. A strong understanding of the legislative framework governing Electoral Areas and of the local government services provided is an asset.
The Director, Regional Planning & Electoral Area Services reports to the General Manager, Regional Planning & Housing Services and falls within our Management / Leadership, Level 5B job family.
- Leads the Regional Planning & Electoral Area division within the Regional Planning and Housing Services department and provides strategic direction for all activities under the purview of the division. Provides leadership for regional land use planning and growth management; the provision of local government services to Electoral Area A; and the development and implementation of regional environmental and non-urban land-use policies and programs. Performs a key leadership role in developing and implementing policies and plans for the region and works collaboratively to deliver on the department’s strategic objectives.
- Accountable for annual and long range budget preparation, reporting and resource allocations. Oversees the preparation of business plans and establishes and monitors performance indicators. Develops policies and procedures for the division’s work. Monitors and controls spending ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds and ensures plans and expenditures align with strategic objectives.
- Provides direction for strategic planning and communication work; develops and reviews agendas for the Board and Committees; and provides strategic direction for Board reports. Liaises with elected officials and staff from local municipalities, senior provincial officials, other government agencies, related industries and the general public. Provides assistance to the Committee Chair (and Board Chair, as applicable) in preparing for public events, drafting speeches and organizing committee work and conduct.
- Provides direction on policy, technical and operational issues related to regional growth strategies; other Board policy initiatives; the provision of local government services to Electoral Area A; and environmental plans and policies. Addresses policy implementation issues with sensitive legal and political implications and prepares and reviews material for the consideration and approval of the General Manager, CAO and Board. Develops performance indicators and measures and reports on the performance of the division.
- Provides leadership for developing short and long term regional land use plans in coordination with member municipalities. Evaluates the cost benefit of alternate solutions and ensures alignment with the Board’s strategic plan. Addresses critical and complex project emergencies and facilitates information sharing to transfer knowledge and experience.
- Accountable for producing a range of comprehensive written materials, including reports, recommendations and management plans. Stays current with regional planning trends and makes recommendation on matters impacting the work of the PPE department and Regional Planning division. Ensures reporting staff comply with established work protocols and methodologies and provides direction for situations outside established practices. Contributes to initiatives requesting input in a timely manner; prioritizes work in consultation with the General Manager; and oversees a range of internal and external reporting activities.
- Hires, supervises, directs and develops staff monitoring performance in accordance with goals and objectives. Provides general direction to staff with emphasis on the planning, development and implementation of work plans and objectives. Ensures adherence to corporate policies and collective agreements. Leads, coaches and mentors staff recognizing the importance of leadership, supervisory and technical training. Develops and sustains a flexible and resilient workforce and encourages staff to pursue opportunities that complement their skills and experience. Works collaboratively to resolve complex technical and interpersonal issues staff encounter while doing their work.
- Recognized as an authority in area of specialization and participates as a member of the department’s interdisciplinary management team to coordinate activities affecting the entire department. Contributes to the development of corporate policy; provides advice to the Corporate Planning Committee; and may provide advice, recommendations and follow-up to Metro Vancouver Board and Committees. Represents the department and organization; works closely with senior staff from member municipalities and external agencies; and responds to inquiries from the media and the public as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 10 years of recent, related progressive experience supplemented by a university degree in a relevant field such as urban or regional planning, business administration, economics, or architecture; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Membership or eligibility for immediate membership as a Professional Planner with PIBC is an asset.
- Expert technical expertise and applied understanding of relevant planning principles, methodologies, practices and research techniques. Considerable and demonstrated ability to develop and evaluate the effectiveness of policy as it relates to regional land use and transportation planning. Excellent analytical abilities and considerable experience balancing community, environmental, and economic objectives. Demonstrated ability to provide strategic direction and lead multiple planning and policy initiatives requiring coordination amongst various divisions, disciplines, departments and external stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex issues and present balanced recommendations.
- Superior oral and written communication skills including the ability to effectively convey complex technical concepts and strategies to diverse audiences. Confidently responds to questions and challenges from a variety of sources and skilled in presenting data in a usable format to facilitate analysis and understanding.
- Excellent budgeting and financial management skills. Demonstrated ability to manage and direct the deployment of a complex mix of cross divisional financial resources and effectively monitor and control spending ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of independent judgment to resolve complex technical challenges. Demonstrated ability to develop and revise strategies to address problems, engage diverse audiences, and promote new initiatives considering the potentially diverse and long term implications of decisions.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others and to build and maintain effective working relationships. Excellent conflict resolution and negotiation skills; ability to resolve differences while maintaining strong relationships. Handles politically charged situations and differences of opinion adeptly and smoothly. Upholds the department’s and organization’s reputation through positive and forthright dealings. Demonstrates a broad-based view of issues, understands the long term implications of actions and aligns the business strategies of the Regional Planning division with department and corporate strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated management and supervisory skills. Ability to direct, supervise, evaluate, coach and mentor staff. Provides motivating feedback and when necessary, constructive and frank feedback on performance. Considerable knowledge of departmental and corporate policies, procedures, goals and regulations. Demonstrated understanding of labour relations principles including the ability to guide managers in having difficult conversations and responding to complex issues.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by February 27, 2020.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: February 6, 2020, 11:48 am
Expires: February 27, 2020, 4:30 pm