BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Community Safety Bylaw (Peace) Officer
Temporary, Full-Time Positions (2)
(up to 4.5 months – May 2020 to September 30, 2020)
The City of Langford Community Safety and Municipal Enforcement Department is seeking two (2) self-starting individuals for this public safety and patrol position. Under the supervision of the Manager of the department, the (Auxiliary) Community Safety Bylaw (Peace) Officer serves as a front line field contact with the public through the patrol and monitoring of City Public Places with a focus on diplomacy, providing public education as well as enforcement of City Bylaws where needed.
Hours (approx. 35 hrs./week) will be set to meet operational needs – mostly nights and weekends.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborates with other regulatory and safety agencies such as the RCMP and Fire Rescue to assist in emergency situations, and performs traffic and crowd control as required.
- Regularly patrols Park sites, Trail network and other public spaces, working in all-weather conditions and in various terrains – most often on bicycle or on foot.
- Professionally provides information related to the interpretation and application of the City of Langford Bylaws and enforces bylaws through education, notices, tickets and charges.
- Investigates complaints and incidents with a goal to resolve recurring offences.
- Maintains notes and data. Prepares and delivers written and verbal reports.
- Completed, or enrolled in law and law enforcement based studies, such as JIBC Investigative Skills, Criminology Program Studies, Province of BC A/R/Cst Training, or RMO training.
- Previous documented and related experience in successfully enforcing bylaws and regulations.
- Superior communication (verbal and written), and customer service skills with ability to effectively deal with and resolve conflicts including those that may involve physical aggression of others.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, programs and databases.
- Physically fit and able to perform manual outdoor work in all types of weather conditions.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence and OFA Level 1 First Aid certification.
The hourly rate set for this term position is $26.79 plus 13% in lieu of benefits.
Please submit your resume by noon, Friday, March 13, 2020 by email to email@example.com (identify the position you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail) or to the attention of Human Resources, City of Langford, 2nd Floor, 877 Goldstream Avenue, Langford, BC V9B 2X8.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
2nd Floor · 877 Goldstream Avenue · Langford, BC Canada · V9B 2X8
T · 250-478-7882 F · 250-478-7864