BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Port AlberniEmployment Opportunity - City of Port Alberni
Mechanical Services Superintendent
The City of Port Alberni is a vibrant community of 17,500 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, Port Alberni is a well-serviced municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceanfront, lakes, rivers and mountains.
We are currently looking for a Mechanical Services Superintendent to join a progressive and dynamic organization that provides a full range of programs and services to taxpayers. The successful candidate will report to the Director of Engineering and Public Works.
This position is responsible for the safe and efficient management and oversight of the garage, welding and carpentry shops at Public Works. Specific responsibilities include:
- Supervising, directly and indirectly, the work of skilled trades engaged in the repair, maintenance and servicing of mechanical and automotive equipment
- Supervising of staff involved in stores keeping, inventory control, first aid duties and dispatch
- Maintaining an equipment and vehicle preventative maintenance and repair program
- Planning, coordinating priorities and setting timelines
- Preparing and managing budgets
- Ensuring that all safety regulations and precautions are observed and enforced
- Working closely with other departments, contractors, stakeholders and residents
Qualifications & Experience:
- Completion of an apprenticeship in the Mechanical Trade (Heavy Duty Mechanic preferred) as well as 10 years’ experience in related work, and considerable demonstrated supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of relevant municipal policies, bylaws, provincial and federal regulations
- Thorough knowledge of occupational health and safety standards and practises
- Demonstrated ability working with various computer applications
- Ability to exercise independent judgement while working toward departmental objectives
- Strong interpersonal, communication, leadership and team building skills
- Valid Class 3 Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia (with air endorsement)
- Provincial Vehicle Inspection Certificate would be an asset
- LPG Certificate would be an asset
This is an exempt position. A competitive salary is offered in addition to a comprehensive benefit package. Please note that there is a residency requirement for this position. Qualified individuals may apply by forwarding a resume and cover letter by 4:30 pm on February 24, 2020:
Attention: Krista Tremblay, Manager of Human Resources
By mail: City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
Emailed to: email@example.com
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
Location: Port Alberni, BC
Region: North and Central Vancouver Island / Sunshine Coast
Professional Categories: Mechanics & Vehicle Maintenance
Posted: January 29, 2020, 12:24 pm
Expires: February 24, 2020, 4:30 pm