BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Assistant Harbours & Watersheds CoordinatorParks & Environmental Services – Environmental Protection
Regular Part time
Hours of Work
35 hours bi-weekly;
Rate of Pay
$37.85 to $42.94 per hour
Review of applications begins
4:00pm on February 18, 2020
The position will work to coordinate and implement community-driven stewardship strategies for harbour and watershed areas in the Capital Regional District.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with the various stakeholders to create a multi-year program and schedule of activities and costs to implement community-driven stewardship plans.
- Seeks and acquires external funding for the plan implementation.
- Oversees the external funding contracts.
- Coordinates the implementation of harbour and watershed stewardship strategies.
- Organizes and facilitates stakeholder committee meetings and liaises with committee members.
- Coordinates a broad range of projects from those involving municipal infrastructure to environment restoration to public involvement.
- Works with the municipalities involved to review environmental regulations, identify gaps and implement new tools.
- Monitors and reports on plan implementation progress.
- Maintains and updates programs initiatives websites and appropriate sections of Stormwater, Harbours and Watersheds website.
- Prepares annual work plans and associated program budgets.
- Oversees and engages consultants - develops terms of reference, evaluates proposals, and reviews final reports.
- Prepares technical, annual and staff reports.
- Makes presentations to community, environmental groups and government agencies.
- Promotes and assists municipal staff with contaminant source investigations in the watershed.
- Develops and promotes a community support and awareness plan.
- Promotes appropriate methods of handling/disposing contaminated wastes from the watershed.
- Promotes riparian protection and restoration activities.
- Carries out data analysis and interpretation for biological and chemical parameters.
- Works to expand business and community capacity for the stewardship of regional watersheds.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- University degree in pure or applied sciences and 3 - 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Experience in overseeing environmental protection projects
- Experience in researching and writing funding proposals
- Sound knowledge of environmental legislation, regulations and bylaws
- Experience related to municipal infrastructure, freshwater and marine systems, watershed protection, stormwater contaminants and water and sediment sampling protocols
- Experience working with business, community, special interest and multi-stakeholder groups
- Experience working with municipal engineering and planning departments and provincial and federal staff
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, spreadsheet and project scheduling programs and databases.
- Well-developed organizational and technical writing
- Ability to work as part of a team, respond to broad direction, use initiative, be innovative and produce results without detailed supervision.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s License
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.
Location: Victoria, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Harbour/Marine Services
Posted: January 28, 2020, 4:48 pm
Expires: February 18, 2020, 4:00 pm