BC Local Government Job Posting Service
The District of West Vancouver Community Services Department has openings for casual Youth Leaders. Under the supervision of the Youth Services Program Coordinator, the Youth Leaders are responsible for facilitating a variety of social and recreational activities for youth, primarily in a drop-in setting.
- Prepare for, supervise and participate in a variety of games, sports and other drop-in activities with youth; may monitor youth volunteers; assist in supervising special events such as pre-teen dances
- Open and close youth facilities; monitor the facility and equipment for safety, security and maintenance requirements and report issues to a superior; enforce rules and regulations; oversee a youth-run concession and handle low value cash transactions
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with youth; act as a positive role model; assist in providing information to, and appropriate referrals for, youth
- Read and prepare routine reports; provide drop-in statistics
- Attend staff meetings; work collaboratively with all Youth Services staff
- Perform related work as required
Required knowledge and experience:
- Leading/supervising youth (11-18 yrs old) in various activities while providing a fun & safe environment
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of the issues, needs and concerns of youth and their psychosocial development; ability to demonstrate ethics and professional boundaries in working with youth
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a culturally diverse community setting
- Excellent customer service, communication and interpersonal skills
- Current and valid Standard or Emergency First Aid, CPR ‘C’ & AED certification
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by post-secondary courses related to the work (i.e. Child & Youth Care, Recreation, etc.) plus related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Unrestricted Class 4 BC Driver’s License
The successful candidate(s) will be required to provide a criminal record check.
WVMEA – Casual
Hours of Work:
Various hours per week and season. Must be available for Monday to Saturday shifts beginning at 3 p.m., and Sunday shifts beginning at 1 p.m.
Rate of Pay:
$17.15 - $19.83 (2019 Rates) + 12% in lieu of benefits
11:59 p.m., February 18, 2020
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position..
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.