BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Courtenay
Director of Engineering Services
The City of Courtenay is an innovative, vibrant and growing City that works together to provide opportunities and excellent services making our community a great place to live, work and do business. The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The City of Courtenay is proud to be a leader in Sound Municipal Asset Management practices. Join our team as the Director of Engineering Services and you will be a key member of our Senior Management Team.
This position will provide advice and support to the CAO, Deputy CAO and Council on City interests in shared or extra-municipal services affecting the City’s infrastructure networks, significant civic facilities, structures, parks and trails. Providing strong situational leadership, the successful applicant will also apply technical knowledge to the City’s relationships and with local, provincial and federal governments and agencies.
The Director of Engineering Services is responsible for ensuring medium and long-term sustainability of the City’s civil infrastructure networks (water, wastewater, transportation and flood protection) and oversight of the planning, design and construction of capital renewal, upgrade/new and disposal projects pertaining to those civil infrastructure networks, plus that of the significant civic facilities, structures, parks and trails.
The ideal candidate will possess a degree in engineering; a professional engineer's designation (P.Eng.); and be a member in good standing with Engineers and Geoscientists BC and LGMA BC. Educational qualifications should be supplemented by a minimum of 11 years' experience in an appropriate engineering field and considerable management experience in a local government setting.
The Successful Candidate
- Extensive knowledge of current engineering techniques and practices relating to design and construction of water distribution, sanitary sewer collection and disposal, storm drainage and flood protection systems, multi-modal transportation networks; and contemporary civic facilities, structures, parks and trails;
- Knowledge and training in contemporary Asset Management practices – National Asset Management Strategy (NAMS) methodologies preferred;
- Thorough knowledge and background in contract management;
- Thorough knowledge and background in capital and operational budget preparation and cash flow control (short, medium and long term);
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, facilitation, negotiation, problem solving, decision making, leadership and general management skills that are accessible and engaging, both verbally and written;
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License
The Ability to:
- Speak in an official capacity as a public spokesperson for long-term plans and strategic initiatives, including media and community presentations, as required;
- Coordinates and responds to public inquiries promptly on behalf of the department
- Effectively lead, coach, mentor, and motivate staff in a unionized environment;
- Foster a results-oriented and customer-centric department culture
- Ability to represent and deal effectively with representatives of government, business, consultants, developers, the general public, City staff and Council members.
What We Offer
The opportunity to live and work in a community surrounded by natural beauty along with an attractive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Cumulative Sick Leave Plan
- Annual Vacation and Other Paid Leaves
- Professional Development & Training Opportunities
For a detailed job description and how to apply, please visit www.courtenay.ca/jobs.
Closing Date: Posting will remain open until filled but we will begin reviewing applications on March 2, 2020.
Location: Courtenay, BC
Region: North and Central Vancouver Island / Sunshine Coast
Professional Categories: Engineering
Posted: January 27, 2020, 8:38 am
Expires: March 2, 2020, 4:30 pm