BC Local Government Job Posting Service
The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
Emergency Vehicle Technician
Job ID: 2019347
$8,487 to $9,930 Monthly (2019 Rates)
Are you a motivated individual with a background in skilled mechanical work? Would you enjoy working in accordance with established trade practices at the journeyman level in the inspection, maintenance, overhaul and repair of a variety of firefighting equipment and vehicles in the Fire-Rescue Division? If you answered yes to both of those questions, the City of Richmond is currently looking to hire a Regular Full-Time Emergency Vehicle Technician.
We are looking for someone that has:
- Knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the automotive and heavy duty mechanical trade.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions related to the work performed.
- Ability to perform a variety of skilled mechanical and related tasks in the overhaul, repair, maintenance, and adjustment of a wide variety of automotive, heavy duty, firefighting equipment and vehicles.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, and work from blueprints, diagrams and sketches.
- Proficiency in work related computer applications such as diagnostic equipment, MS Office including Word and Outlook (including e-mail and calendar).
- Skill in the use and care of tools and equipment used in the trade.
- Superior mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to operate a variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to fabricate, trouble shoot, repair and overhaul diesel engines; ability to repair and overhaul air brake systems.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision; exercise considerable independence of judgement and action in completing assignments.
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team.
- Physically and mentally fit to perform the work and meet the physical demands of the job; ability to work within confined spaces.
- Attention to detail is required.
- Must be able to demonstrate the City’s Values of People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Valid Class 3 Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia with Air Brake Endorsement.
- BC Certificate of Qualification as a Heavy Duty Mechanic or Commercial Transport Mechanic Red Seal).
- A valid BC Authorized Inspector certificate.
- Some related experience is required.
- Current EVT certification and/or Certified Automotive Mechanic is considered an asset.
- Experience in the areas of fire apparatus, small engine, hydraulic, A/C and D/C wiring, welding steel and welding aluminum is preferred.
If you think this is a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today!
The City of Richmond uses an applicant tracking system for candidates wishing to view and apply for available career opportunities. For further details regarding this specific career opportunity, please visit our website at www.richmond.ca/employment. Applicants will be required to upload a current resume and provide any supporting documentation relevant to the position (Word format).
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.