BC Local Government Job Posting Service
School District No. 87 (Stikine)
School District No. 87 (Stikine) acknowledges that it operates on traditional territory of the Tahltan, the Taku River Tlingit and the Kaska First Nations people.
Due to a retirement, the Board of Education of School District 87 (Stikine) is seeking an experienced, collaborative and progressive business leader to assume the role of Secretary Treasurer. The Board of Education will oversee an operating budget for approximately $7.1 million and a $ 900,000 annual capital grant. On behalf of the Board, some 37 employees provide service to 150 students in 4 schools, dispersed across a vast geographic area in north-western British Columbia. Communities served include Dease Lake, Iskut, Telegraph Creek, Lower Post, and Atlin.
The Central Administration Office for the School District is located at Dease Lake, once a trading post, and now the regional hub for education, health, and other government services. The Stikine region offers a unique lifestyle, and it will appeal to those who enjoy outdoor pursuits in unspoiled wilderness in one of the most rugged and scenic areas of British Columbia. Economic activity in the region centers around mining, forestry, and tourism. The natural beauty of the region is surpassed only by the warmth and resilience of its people.
Reporting to the Superintendent of Schools, the Secretary-Treasurer will join the Senior Leadership Team in its pursuit of success for all learners and a positive learning environment for all students and staff. As a natural relationship builder and effective communicator, the Secretary-Treasurer will partner with administrators, teachers, support staff, school trustees and the communities at large to create and maintain a positive and supportive working environment.
Overseeing and providing leadership to the areas of Finance, Facilities, Transportation, Information, Technology and Human Resources, the Secretary Treasurer, as the Corporate Secretary to the Board, ensures established priorities in each department align with the Board’s Goals and Strategic Plan. Key areas of active leadership will include oversight of the provincial budget systems, internal accounting systems and financial controls, as well as budgeting and formal and ad hoc reporting.
In addition to having a professional designation in accounting or business management (CPA), the successful candidate will demonstrate previous success as a senior business leader in a BC public educational context and provide evidence of:
- Flexible, creative, inclusive, innovative, and ethical approaches to problem-solving and decision-making
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Understanding of the complexity of all aspects of school district operations
- Familiarity with British Columbia’s educational direction, context, and commitment to Indigenous students’ success
- Exemplary financial planning and management skills
- Experience in labour relations in a unionized environment
- Extensive knowledge and experience with computer technology and computerized financial administration systems
- The ability to work as a positive member of a team supporting both the educational and administration goals of the district
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Experience with provincial legislation compliance requirements;
- Experience in board governance.
- A collaborative, conciliatory, and constructive approach to relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- An ability to initiate, create, and maintain trust in people, systems, and processes
The position will commence on May 1, 2020, or at a mutually satisfactory date. To apply, please send your resume and supporting documents by February 28, 2020 to email@example.com
More information about the position is available from search consultants, Julie MacRae and/or Catherine Jagger at Julie@gofutureshr.com or Catherine@gofutureshr.com
More information on School District 87 is available at www.sd87.bc.ca.
Location: Dease Lake, BC
Region: North Coast / Nechako
Professional Categories: Corporate Administration,Financial Administration
Posted: January 23, 2020, 1:33 pm
Expires: February 28, 2020, 4:30 pm