BC Local Government Job Posting Service
January 16, 2020
December 31, 2020
Under the supervision of the designated shift supervisor or lead hand, the Lifeguard 1 performs lifeguarding, instruction, and custodial work and is responsible for ensuring the safety and enjoyment of participants in aquatic activities.
- Contributes to the success of our team and creation of our community, by fostering the District of Squamish corporate values in their work: thinking beyond today, working together, acting with courage and enthusiasm, doing the right thing, and striving to do better every day.
- Follows the District of Squamish’s Customer Service Guidelines to ensure the Delivery of Outstanding Service.
- Monitors pool and related activities of patrons and enforces safety regulations to standards established by the District and all regulating bodies.
- Initiates rescue response prevention and first aid measures.
- Participates in the training and evaluation of staff and volunteers and assists in ensuring the maintenance of established standards of performance and safety for lifeguards and instructors as set by the District.
- Instructs all age groups and abilities to standards established by the District.
- Maintains and completes related class records on participation and progress including daily lesson plans, worksheets kept up to date and progress cards.
- Keeps accurate records and makes reports as required.
- Performs scheduled monitoring and cleaning tasks with respect to pool water, facilities, and equipment.
- Participates in all mandatory in-service training; practices and maintains skills and recertifies certifications prior to their expiry date.
- Provides a safe, fun and engaging experience for participants, ensuring their safety and advising the supervisor of safety concerns.
- Arranges required equipment for programs.
- Assists Recreation Program Supervisor and Coordinator in related program duties and promotion of programs.
- Performs cashiering duties as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of the rules and regulations governing public safety in a swimming pool and with the District pool safety plan for proper guarding, instruction methods, and general procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of swimming instruction techniques including specialized areas such as special needs, pre-school children, and lifesaving.
- Ability to instruct and build strong relationships with all aged groups and abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills and ability to deal with people in a professional manner.
- Physical condition sufficient to ensure strength and stamina in the water and during rescues, as well ability to lift and move program equipment.
- Working knowledge of pool chemistry, water filtration, chlorination, heating, and related pool equipment procedures.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, enthusiasm and positive attitude when relating to all ages and the public.
- Ability to successfully complete Facility Performance Standards.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with the ability to balance a fluctuating workload.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with coworkers and customers and excels in a team oriented environment.
- Is self-motivated and takes initiative appropriately.
- Ability to utilize current computer technology including basic knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
REQUIRED TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- An original Police Information Check, including Vulnerable Sector Check issued within the past 6 months that is satisfactory to the employer will be required before starting in the position.
- Current National Lifeguard Certification (Pool Option).
- Current Water Safety Instructor Certification
- Current Standard First Aid Certification.
- Or equivalent certifications from other agencies.
Ability to possess the following:
- AED Responder
- High Five – Principles of Healthy Childhood Development
- Lifesaving Instructor Certification
- Aquafit Instructor
Hours of Work:
Between the hours of 5:00am – 11:00pm Monday to Sunday, Casual On-Call
$24.03 per hour
This is a Union position within the Collective Agreement of CUPE Local 2269 and the District of Squamish.
Direct Your Application (Quoting Competition #) To: #20-07
District of Squamish
37955 Second Avenue, P.O. Box 310
Squamish, B.C., V8B 0A3