BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Planning Assistant (Park Planner)Executive Services – Salt Spring Island Administration
Regular Full time
Hours of Work
70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay
$33.35 to $37.85 per hour
Review of applications begins
4:00pm on February 3, 2020; however, this competition will remain open until the successful candidate is found.
This position is located on Salt Spring Island
The Planning Assistant (Park Planner) is responsible for assisting with initiatives related to the planning, protection and delivery of parks and public spaces. This position works closely with the Salt Spring Island Management team on community planning initiatives, including participating and coordinating the public engagement process.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides assistance to connect the Salt Spring Island Parks and Recreation Strategic Plan and other CRD planning documents with park and trail planning.
- Assists with the preparation and coordination of park and trail management planning, infrastructure, and site plans.
- Assists with the research and preparation of environmental, recreational or social studies and integrates this research into planning initiatives.
- Drafts reports on a variety of planning initiatives
- Assists to organize and coordinate public engagement initiatives and public consultations.
- Provides project coordination and management of related projects.
- Assists to prepare project charters, terms of reference and monitor project budgets.
- Liaises with CRD staff, including GIS staff on related GIS requirements.
- Undertakes planning studies and participate in cooperative planning exercises with other stakeholders.
- Works with consultants on planning projects, as well as assists with the administration of contract and budgets.
- May act as a CRD representative to liaise with community stakeholders on related projects.
- Respond to inquiries from the public.
- Coordinate and/or participate on project teams.
- Assists with the preparation of data and related budget information.
- Drafts reports on a variety of planning initiatives.
- Conducts site visits, as required.
- Works cooperatively with staff, the public and commissions on projects as directed.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A degree with a focus on park and trail planning in a natural area context and three years related experience.
- Membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia or eligibility for membership and obtaining full membership within two years of appointment to the position
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills
- Experience preparing park and trail management plans, studies and policies.
- Some experience with environmental, recreational and social studies related to park and trail management
- Experience coordinating and facilitating public engagement processes
- Ability to provide guidance and direction to external consultants.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships
- Some knowledge of park and trail planning principles and practices
- Knowledge of the concepts of park and trail planning and public sector land use planning
- Knowledge of natural area conservation and outdoor recreation management, ecosystem-based management and the use of environmental information in park planning
- Ability to collect and analyse data and understand a variety of technical reports, demonstrating a strong attention to quality and detail.
- Knowledge of research techniques and principles
- Knowledge of GIS and its application for park and trail planning.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, spreadsheet and project scheduling programs and databases.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s License
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC
Region: South Vancouver Island
Professional Categories: Planning & Development
Posted: January 14, 2020, 2:30 pm
Expires: February 3, 2020, 4:00 pm