BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Be a part of something great!
Recreation Worker IV
(up to 15)
Bulletin File #: 20-B002
Web Site: tol.ca
Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 123,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for up to 15 auxiliary Recreation Worker IV – Lifeguard/Instructors to join our team of professionals in the Park and Recreation Division; Recreation Programs and Services Department. Reporting to the Community Recreation Manager, you will be responsible in this unionized position for providing lifeguarding functions as well as instructional duties for a variety of aquatic programs.
- Perform lifeguarding duties, ensuring the safety of patrons utilizing the aquatic facility and supervising the use of the swimming and related recreation areas
- Perform custodial and janitorial duties relative to the aquatic facility
- Perform scheduled maintenance tasks with respect to pool water, facilities and equipment such as filters, chlorinators and related water treatment equipment
- Conduct instructional and recreational aquatic programs for all age ranges and for a variety of community groups with special needs
- Perform related work as required
- Completion of Grade 10 and completion of Pool Operator’s and /or Lifesaving Society Instructor courses, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Sound knowledge of the theory and practice of lifesaving, artificial respiration and first aid
- Working knowledge of teaching methods and group leadership techniques emphasizing instruction in water safety and aquatic skills.
- Working knowledge of pool chemistry, of water filtration, chlorination, heating and related pool equipment and procedures
- Ability to display sound aquatic skills and to instruct in these skills at standards set by relevant authorities
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications / licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification
- National Lifeguard Pool certification
- National Lifeguard Waterpark certification
- Standard First Aid certification
- CPR Level C certification
- AED certification
- Successful candidates must be a minimum of 17 years
Candidates will be required to attend the following mandatory skills screening assessment general meeting on Thursday, February 6, 2019, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, Walnut Grove Community Centre and a skills screening session on Sunday, February 9, 2019, 9:00am – 5:00pm, at Walnut Grove Community Centre.
Candidates unable to make these dates will not be considered.
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a position of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate(s) will be required to have a police information check as a condition of employment (Note - Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
The rate of pay for this CUPE position is $23.91 - $28.00 per hour (5 steps, 2020 rates) plus 13% in lieu of benefits. The hours of work are non-standard hours and/or non-standard work weeks.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal/External closing date for this competition: 4:30pm, January 24, 2020
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.