BC Local Government Job Posting Service
One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
Engineering Assistant 2 - Transportation (Co-op Student)
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
Approximately 4 - 8 months, starting May 2020
Hours of work:
Approximately 32 hours per week
The position will involve both field and office work in the Transportation Section of the Engineering Department. A variety of tasks will be conducted including but not limited to gathering, recording and analyzing traffic data in support of the traffic model; and assisting in the design and inspection of municipal projects and undertaking other assignments, including technical report writing related to traffic engineering and roadway planning and design.
Examples of Work
- Responding to public inquiries, including problem identification, option evaluation and report preparation;
- Undertaking manual traffic and pedestrian counts at intersections and crossings including preparing summary reports;
- Conducting traffic capacity analysis, pedestrian crossing and traffic signal warrants;
- Undertaking routine office or clerical duties;
- Compiling information on various engineering assets such as retaining walls, culverts, sidewalks, traffic signals, etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of traffic and highway engineering fundamentals and principles;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Working knowledge of common spreadsheet and database computer applications;
- Basic working knowledge of AutoCAD together with drafting skills.
Desirable Training and Experience:
- Proficiency in computer programs related to engineering drafting (AutoCAD) and/or traffic/transportation engineering (ie. Synchro/Simtraffic, HCS);
- Certification or experience as a traffic control person is desirable.
Required Licenses, Certificates and Registrations
- A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence is required.
- Students must have completed minimum of two work terms previously
- Students must be enrolled in an Engineering undergraduate program
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary of $28.00 per hour + 12% in lieu of benefits. Interested applicants are requested to apply on-line at www.delta.ca/employment by February 5, 2020, quoting competition #20-42EX
City of Delta
Attention: Human Resources
4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent, Delta, BC V4K 3E2