BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Intern / Mentor Lifeguard / Instructor I
The West Vancouver Community Services Department has openings for casual Intern/Mentor Lifeguard/Instructor I positions.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, this position will be responsible for:
- instructing all age groups in swimming techniques for all levels of swimming including West Vancouver Preschool Lessons, Red Cross Programs, recreational and /or specialized aquatic programs;
- providing friendly and informative customer relations communication skills to the public;
- leading aquatic programs, and/or other recreational programs in the aquatics facility;
- providing instruction on a private or semi-private basis to program participants as time and space allow;
- maintaining related lesson report cards records; and,
- other related duties as required.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- considerable knowledge of swimming instruction techniques;
- ability and experience as a swimmer;
- ability to instruct all age groups and classes of swimmers including West Vancouver Preschool Program, Red Cross Lessons and/or adult lessons;
- ability to maintain required records;
- demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with the public in a variety of situations.
The successful candidate is 16 years of age or older and has completed Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certification.
The successful candidate is required to supply a criminal record check and a copy of their credentials. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted and must be available to attend a mandatory wet screening session on:
- Mandatory Wet Screening on Wednesday, February 5 from 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Mandatory Orientation on Tuesday, February 11 from 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on WestNet.
Union (WVMEA) – Casual
Hours of Work:
Hours and days of work may vary
Rate of Pay:
$22.49 per hour (2019 rates) plus 12% in lieu of benefits
11:59 p.m. Monday, January 27, 2020
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.