BC Local Government Job Posting Service
JanitorStatus: Casual/ On Call
Work Area: Facilities
Posting Date: January 9, 2020
Closing Date: December 31, 2020
Under the general supervision of the Designated Department Supervisor, performs a variety of cleaning and maintenance functions in Municipal Buildings, to ensure a high standard of cleanliness and sanitation. Overall objective is to provide a clean, safe, secure, and pleasant environment for those occupying and visiting the buildings.
- Contributes to the success of our team and creation of our community, by fostering the District of Squamish corporate values in their work: thinking beyond today, working together, acting with courage and enthusiasm, doing the right thing, and striving to do better every day.
- Follows the District of Squamish’s Customer Service Guidelines to ensure the Delivery of Outstanding Service.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs a variety of cleaning duties in accordance with established practices and procedures conforming to maintenance schedules and established standards.
- Performs a variety of minor building maintenance and repairs within established practices, procedures and guidelines.
- Stores and utilizes maintenance supplies following WorkSafe BC & Fire regulations and reports maintenance supply shortages to supervisor for replenishment.
- Reports building repairs required to supervisor.
- Reports safety hazards to the supervisor.
- Responsible for securing the building including setting the alarm when appropriate.
- Sets up for functions, events, and programs as assigned.
- Orients new Janitors to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of effective janitorial and maintenance methods, procedures, materials, and equipment.
- Ability to work independently, coordinate tasks, and change work priorities to ensure completion of daily, weekly, monthly and annual assignments, without disrupting or endangering public or employee access to the building.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and precautionary measures related to building maintenance safety standards and janitorial work.
- Knowledge of maintenance supply storage and care, following WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Knowledge of building personnel and procedures.
- Strength and ability to climb ladders, lift, push, or carry objects.
- Ability to read and comprehend the English language to closely follow written procedures, guidelines, and regulations (e.g., Health & Safety Program, product labels, WHMIS, WorkSafe BC Industrial Health & Safety Regulations).
- Ability to write short notes or memos to notify supervisor of supplies required, making recommendations, or giving a comprehensive statement of fact.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees and public in the building.
- Good interpersonal and communications skill and the ability to deal with people in a professional manner.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently unsupervised in a position of trust.
- Will be eligible for casual janitor shifts at other District facilities per the District of Squamish Collective Agreement.
REQUIRED TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Current First Aid (WCB level 1)
- Valid BC Drivers License “Class V”
- An original Police Information Check, including Vulnerable Sector Check issued within the past 6 months that is satisfactory to the employer will be required before starting in the position.
- 6 months experience in Janitorial and building maintenance
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Hours of Work: Shifts may range between 5:00am and 1:00am, Monday to Sunday / Casual/ on call
Salary: $23.62 per hour
This is a Union position within the Collective Agreement of CUPE Local 2269 and the District of Squamish.
Direct Your Application (Quoting Competition # 20-06) To:
District of Squamish
37955 Second Avenue, P.O. Box 310, Squamish, BC V8B 0A3
Location: Squamish, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Janitorial/Custodial Services
Posted: January 10, 2020, 10:17 am
Expires: December 31, 2020, 4:30 pm