BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager Policy & Business ServicesParks, Recreation and Culture Services
Regular Full Time (Exempt)
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City of Coquitlam is currently seeking an innovative and driven Manager, Policy and Business Services for our Parks, Recreation and Culture Services Department.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, Parks, Recreation and Culture Services, this position is responsible for providing overall leadership and management to a functional Division of the department involving all aspects of Business Services and Policy Development. This division supports functions across the entire department, along with ensuring goals and objectives are met according to the strategic direction. Considerable independent responsibility and judgment is required in managing, planning and organizing job functions and carrying out assignments in accordance with department and corporate policies, plans and objectives.
This role is responsible for collaborating with the management team in order to lead strategic master planning and business planning functions of the department as well as a range of reporting functions. This position also directly oversees the planning, implementation and evaluation of the department’s programs and budgeting, as well as the coordination of the Department strategic plan and business plan priorities. Considerable independent leadership, innovation and judgment are required in managing, planning and organizing the key and exciting responsibilities of this role.
This exciting role requires a professional with excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and the ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders and community groups. The Manager, Policy and Business Services is an integral part of a dynamic management team and has responsibility for assisting the General Manager in the overall leadership of the Policy and Business Services division. This position plays a significant role in the development and leadership of section managers, supervisors and all staff to ensure effectiveness, efficiency and a high level of engagement and commitment to the community we serve.
In addition to academic accreditation and professional qualifications in Business or Public Administration and/or another relevant discipline, you possess a minimum of 5 years of related leadership experience, preferably within a municipal or regional government setting. The highlevel energy and the leadership demands of this position will be compensated with an attractive salary, excellent benefits and a great deal of job satisfaction.
Other Requirements include:
- Experience leading and directing staff on departmental strategies and business plan objectives.
- Ability to adapt to a continually evolving environment centred around team focused, fastpaced workplace design.
- Experience working within or alongside municipal teams, other public sector organizations and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to serve as a focal point between multiple parties at the Council and executive level; and to provide strategic advice, counsel and guidance on critical issues that have community impacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to negotiate, influence, and liaise effectively with colleagues, members of the public and external agencies.
- Advanced research, analytical and problem solving skills, with an ability to interpret emerging issues.
- Strong financial management skills with the ability to manage operational budgets and expenditures for the division.
- Track record of success in promoting and maintaining a work environment which fosters and rewards teamwork, initiative, accountability, diversity and innovation
- An understanding of the strategic direction of the City.
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/jobs with a cover letter and résumé by 5:00 pm by January 24, 2020.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Policy & Research,Business Analysis/Services
Posted: January 9, 2020, 12:52 pm
Expires: January 24, 2020, 5:00 pm