BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Labourer 1 - Signs & Markings
Competition No.: 2019-L13
Salary: $28.25 + 12% in lieu of benefits
Last Updated: 1/8/20 3:15 PM
The goal of the City of Burnaby and its employees is to consistently deliver first class service and services to our community. With this in mind, we hire people who share the same passion, those with the drive and determination to grow with and contribute to our already exceptional team. People like you!
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Signs & Markings division of the Engineering Department an auxiliary Labourer.
Duties of Labourers working in our Signs & Markings division include, but are not restricted to:
- Maintenance of roadway traffic signs , including removal, repositioning, fastening, and installation
- Installation and maintenance of roadway traffic markings, including paint, adhesive, thermoplastic, and torch down
- Traffic control work in construction sites and for emergency closures
- Vegetation control and/or rough landscaping, digging holes for the installation of street signs and posts; breaking concrete and asphalt with steel bar or jackhammer; backfilling holes with dirt or cement.
- Operating a variety of City vehicles used in transporting equipment, parts, materials, supplies, tools to job sites, loading and unloading material, supplies and equipment.
The position requires a candidate to possess knowledge and skill in the methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in traffic related construction and maintenance work. This position involves continuous heavy physical work in all weather conditions, so sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination are required. Other desired attributes include safe work practices, excellent teamwork skills and the ability to communicate effectively, particularly when dealing with the public. We are looking for traffic-related and/or residential and commercial labouring; work with street or road marking; traffic control experience; traffic sign installation and maintenance; plus construction and hands-on experience with related tools and equipment as well as any certifications (e.g. first aid, post-secondary, etc.) and any apprenticeship status held.
The position will require the flexibility to work a variety shifts depending on weather and scheduling conditions, including extended hours (possible overtime) evenings and weekends as required. Additional preferred certifications include WHMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Fall Protection and TCP. Valid Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia, Class 5 is required (Class 3 with air brake endorsement preferred)
This posting will remain open until the position has been filled.
Please contact Human Resources at 604-294-7303 if you do not receive a confirmation email within one hour of submitting your application online.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Apply to this position
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Visit us at www.burnaby.ca