BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Construction Worker IPosition Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than May 15, 2020)
Department: Water Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Lake City Operations Centre, Burnaby
Our Water Services Department is seeking a Construction Worker I who is passionate about working with Metro Vancouver’s water and sanitary infrastructure. You demonstrate outstanding work ethic and a safety-first attitude. You are self-motivated, enjoy working outdoors in a construction environment, and are effective when working independently or as part of a team. You are detail-oriented, well-organized, and have an interest in further developing your knowledge of the construction and repair of water and sanitary systems.
You are a hard-working individual who is looking to develop their knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the construction and repair of our water and sanitary systems. You have strong communication skills and the ability to carry out detailed instruction in a safe and effective manner.
This role: (The duties described are representative of the position and are not all-inclusive.)
- Performs general labour tasks.
- Operates hand and small power tools.
- Assists journeymen in their daily tasks.
- Pickup and deliveries of material and equipment
- Works in compliance with all Corporate, Departmental and Divisional safety programs and procedures and also WorkSafe BC regulations.
- May be required to work within a confined space.
- Assists in utility construction work such as sewer and water tie-ins, pipeline installation, underground chambers etc.
- Performs simple survey requirements.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent training and experience.
- Ability to operate small hand tools and small power equipment, pneumatic or hydraulic tools.
- Must have a clear understanding of safe work practices on a construction work site in accordance with the Corporate, Departmental and Divisional safety programs and procedures, and the WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Physically capable of performing manual and labourer construction duties.
- Able to work in an outdoors environment for extended periods.
- Proven commitment to working within a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to deal effectively with the public.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
NOTE: An incumbent in the Construction Worker I classification will progress to Construction Worker II after completing two consecutive years in the classification or by recommendation of the Construction Superintendent.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by January 22, 2020.
Location: Burnaby, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Construction
Posted: January 8, 2020, 9:09 am
Expires: January 22, 2020, 4:30 pm