BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Be a part of something great!
Utilities Maintenance Worker
Competition File #: 20-U011
Web Site: tol.ca
Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 128,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a regular full-time Utilities Maintenance Worker to join our team of professionals in the Engineering Division, Engineering and Construction Services Department. Reporting to the Construction Superintendent, in this unionized position you will be responsible for exercising independent judgement and initiative, ensuring safe work practices while assisting in water works construction maintenance and repair tasks.
- Assists in sewer construction, maintenance, and repair tasks such as installing sewer mains to grade
- Assists water and/or sewer operators in the maintenance and operation of the pump stations, PRV’s, etc.
- Utilizes a variety of equipment and repair processes such as an M-Scope to locate utilities, air compressors, cathodic protection; operates a laser level and a video inspection camera as required
- Guides equipment operators involved in lowering materials into trenches or trenching work for underground operations
- Locates and repairs broken or leaking watermains, water services and related water systems equipment
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent supplemented by training courses and sound experience in water or sewer construction and maintenance tasks, preferably a Class 3 with air brake endorsement driver’s license, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Considerable knowledge of methods, practices, tools and equipment used in sewer or water system construction, repair and maintenance tasks related to the work performed
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions and standards applicable to the work performed
- Ability to assist in semi-skilled manual sewer or water system construction and maintenance tasks
- Skill in the use and care of a wide variety of tools and equipment used in the work
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
- BC Class 5 (full-privilege) driver’s license or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driver’s Record (select the 5 years’ option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s Licence and the Drivers Factor Report will not be accepted.
- E.O.C.P. Water Distribution - Level 1
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $30.83 per hour (2020 rates) plus benefits. The hours of work are Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: 4:30pm, January 14, 2020
External closing date for this competition: 4:30pm, January 27, 2020
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview