BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Manager Community Planning
Planning and Development Department
Regular Full Time (Exempt)
The City of Coquitlam is a 2019 BC Top Employer and is home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
Reporting to the General Manager, Planning and Development, the Manager Community Planning is responsible and accountable for leading and managing the Community Planning Division of the department, providing advice on and preparing community plans and bylaws to assist the General Manager Planning and Development in achieving the community development objectives established by Council, and providing community planning input into the development application review process. This position is also responsible for leading staff work in community and social development, heritage planning, GIS mapping and assigned special projects and providing/presenting recommendations to various committees and Council.
As part of the senior leadership team in the Planning and Development Department you will be responsible for the work of the Community Planning Division. This Division is responsible for the preparation of community plans and related bylaws; providing recommendations and advice to Council regarding community plans and policies; and undertaking and completing long range/policy planning, heritage and social planning and assigned special projects. This leadership role requires a critical thinker, innovator and problem solver, as well as a strong, competent and ethical leader.
The successful candidate will possess a graduate degree from a recognized planning program or a closely related field. In addition, required is a minimum of 7 years of related senior level or management experience in planning. Eligibility for full membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners is preferred. This position requires the successful incumbent to have a thorough knowledge of legislation, regulations, policies and procedures that impact municipalities.
Other Requirements include:
- Experience leading and directing staff in preparing plans and studies on planning and development issues including the adoption of bylaws, policies and regulations.
- Experience working within or alongside municipal planning teams, developers, consultants and the public to resolve planning and development related concerns.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to serve as a focal point between multiple parties at the Council and executive level; and to provide strategic advice, counsel and guidance on critical issues that have community impacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to negotiate, influence, and liaise effectively with contractors, consultants, community groups, members of the public and external agencies.
- Advanced research, analytical and problem solving skills, with an ability to interpret emerging issues.
- Strong financial management skills with the ability to manage operational budgets and expenditures for the division.
- An understanding of the strategic direction of the City.
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/jobs with a cover letter and résumé by 5:00 pm by January 22, 2020.