BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Co-op Student – Finance Department
(Full Time – May to August, 2020)
The City of Chilliwack has a great opportunity for a Co-op Education Student in the Finance Department. The term of this assignment will be for four months, May to August, 2020.
The position will consist of specific assignments related to the collection of property taxes during the City of Chilliwack’s busy tax season, as well as perform a variety of routine and standard accounting functions. This will be an opportunity for a student to receive practical experience in a municipal accounting environment.
The incumbent in this class will assist management to achieve an efficient operation in the Finance Department through reliable performance of assigned duties, and ensure safety and security of confidential matters pertaining to the Department’s operation. The incumbent will assist in answering incoming telephone calls, referring enquiries to the appropriate office for action and provide a variety of technical and general information and assistance to the public. Assignments and responsibilities are performed under the general supervision, and performance is subject to review, inspection and evaluation by the Director of Finance.
You must be enrolled in the Co-operative Education Program at a recognized post-secondary institution and have met the specific entrance criteria for that program.
Qualified individuals will have:
- Basic knowledge of the functions, methods, rules, procedures, bylaws, regulations and policies pertaining to Local Government;
- Basic knowledge of the methods, practices, and principles entailed in the bookkeeping functions and maintenance of accounting records;
- Sound knowledge of business English, spelling and punctuation;
- Able to be polite, courteous and tactful in dealing with the public and be neat in appearance;
- Able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with department officials, department heads and other members of staff;
- Able to process a variety of confidential material with discretion and integrity; and,
- The employee shall be responsible for performing tasks associated with general “housekeeping” duties associated with the assigned project.
This position comes with an hourly rate of $22.64 – 26.64 per hour (2019 rates). Working a standard work week of Monday to Friday, in accordance with the hours specified, but must be flexible should the assigned project include weekend and/or evening work, or overtime hours.
If this job is a good fit for you, apply at jobs.chilliwack.com and submit a fully detailed resume, cover letter and include your post-secondary transcripts. Please submit your application and post-secondary transcripts by 4:30 pm on January 24, 2020.
Applications without transcripts will not be considered (unofficial copies are acceptable)