BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Project Engineer - Streets DesignRequisition ID: 15227
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Project Engineer in the Streets Design Branch will be responsible for the planning, design coordination and implementation of Streets and Transportation infrastructure projects up to $3 million in value.
The Project Engineer will work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders including general public, advisory groups, contractors and project partners in other City of Vancouver departments to facilitate the successful planning and implementation of capital construction projects.
Under the supervision of the Section Head, Capital Program Delivery, the Project Engineer will develop and manage project work plans, in terms of scope budget and schedule including the procurement and management of consultants as necessary.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivering Streets and Transportation capital projects to achieve key project objectives according to the scope, schedule, and budget defined by project sponsors in the project charters; minimizing impacts to residents, business owners and the public.
- Building on established partnerships and/or developing partnerships with internal and external stakeholders; ensuring that stakeholders are identified, engaged, informed and given opportunities to shape project details as applicable.
- Reading, reviewing and interpreting engineering designs and specifications related to Streets and Transportation projects
- Preparing reports, memos and other project communications for the Section Head, Branch Manager, Project Sponsor, Steering Committee, and other City personnel and members of the public
- Contract administration and management of external consultants retained to support the planning, design coordination and implementation of Streets and Transportation capital projects.
- Escalating any identified conflicts as necessary to the Section Head, Capital Program Delivery as required
- Ensuing compliance with Organizational Quality Management (OQM) and Project Management Framework (PMF) requirements throughout the project lifecycle
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a University Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent.
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer or EIT in British Columbia
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience in design, construction management, and project management.
- Accredited project management training (eg. PMP certification, tertiary qualification) is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in project management including planning, detailed design, construction, and contract management of engineering projects
- Demonstrated ability to lead a project team to delivery on project objectives with minimal supervision and be proactive at resolving project conflicts in a timely and effective manner.
- Working knowledge of project management principles and techniques across all phases of a project
- Proven experience in dealing with multiple tasks, and setting and meeting competing deadlines.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills and strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain working relationships with Engineering Design and Operations Branches and other key stakeholders
- Working knowledge of quality management frameworks such as APEGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes is an asset
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2020
Application Close: January 24, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering,Project Management
Posted: January 3, 2020, 2:28 pm
Expires: January 24, 2020, 11:59 pm