BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Grow your career in one of the best places on earth. Forget the long commute. Kayak or walk on the waterfront at sunrise, put in an honest day’s work, and still have plenty of time for a bike ride or round of golf before sunset. Fill your weekends with wine tours, hiking, mountain biking, downhill or cross country skiing, or boating. Or enjoy one of the many campgrounds within less than an hour’s drive from home.
The City of West Kelowna is a vibrant, growing city located on the west shores of beautiful Okanagan Lake. Our employees consistently achieve remarkable results in a fast paced and innovative environment. The City of West Kelowna’s Planning Department is seeking to fill a permanent, full time position of Planner III.
Position duties and responsibilities:
Reporting to the Planning Manager, the Planner III will review, assess and report on complex and controversial development applications such as Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw amendments, Comprehensive Development Plans, Development Permits (residential, industrial and commercial) and subdivisions. The successful candidate will implement the City’s vision in preparing land use bylaws and making recommendations to City Council and Committees while ensuring compliance with applicable legislation. This position will also make recommendations / presentations in a variety of planning projects based on interpretation of statistical, demographic, environmental and other relevant information.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree in urban planning or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a related position
- Membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia or the Canadian Institute of Planners;
- Extensive knowledge of local land use policies and regulations, environmental legislation, as well as provincial and federal legislation related to planning
- Knowledge in land-use planning, environmental protection, as well as analysis and synthesis of land use information
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Strong customer service skills
- High attention to detail with superior report writing capability
- Public presentation experience
- Graphic and mapping skills
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Drivers License
Applications are accepted online at www.westkelownacity.ca/jobs. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Applicants will need to upload their cover letter, resume and drivers abstract when applying.
COMPETITION 19-34E3 | CLOSES JANUARY 27, 2020 | PAY $40.68 (2020 WAGE TBD)