BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
2020 Summer Labourers - Engineering Operations
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
Gain valuable public works experience while doing meaningful work that impacts the community this summer! We’re looking for motivated and hardworking labourers to join our Engineering Operations team and support works in the following areas:
- Water Operations
- Street Operations
- Sanitary Sewer, Construction and Drainage
- Solid Waste
- Pumps and Controls
- Fleet and Garage
Our Summer Labourers will be:
- Working on a variety of projects and tasks under the supervision of senior staff throughout Surrey;
- Working closely with other team members, they’ll need to use sound judgement and critical problem solving skills to come up with solutions in the field;
- Interacting with the public, handling questions and complaints in a tactful and professional manner.
You, as successful candidates:
- Are reliable and dedicated individuals who share the City’s values of Community, Innovation, Integrity, Service, and Teamwork;
- Are strong team players with effective communication skills;
- Have good judgement and critical thinking skills;
- Are customer focused and can effectively deal with the public in a professional manner;
- Are conscious about safety and ensuring a safe work environment for you and your colleagues;
It’s an asset if you have experience performing general labour in a public works, maintenance and/or a construction environment as well as training and/or courses in public works (e.g. Municipal Plan Reading).
Successful candidates will also meet the following requirements:
- Completed grade 12 or equivalent;
- Relevant experience and training;
- A valid and unrestricted class 5 driver’s license with a safe driving record.
Help us build a world-class city this summer. Gain valuable experience, learn new skills, and grow your career while doing meaningful work that will directly impact our communities. Learn more about our summer recruitment.
Approximate Recruitment Timeline
- Accepting Applications: December 2nd to January 31st, 2020
- Screening Applicants & Collecting Driving Records: January to 2nd week of February
- Interviews take place: January and February
- References and Police Information Checks: January and February
- Extending offers: March
- Start Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2020
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply at SurreyCareers.ca to Job ID 3309.
***Due to the high volume of applications the closing date for this competition is January 31st, 2020. Applications must be made prior to this date/time***