BC Local Government Job Posting Service
City of Surrey
Transportation Planning Engineer
Regular Full Time)
The Transportation Engineer will work as part of a team of professionals within the Transportation Division of the Engineering Department. The role reports to the Transportation Planning Manager and is accountable for working with other Transportation Engineers, Transportation Planners, and Transportation Technologists on the development of medium and long range multi-modal transportation infrastructure plans and budget for inclusion in the City’s 10 Year Servicing Plan, liaison with external agencies such as Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and TransLink for the planning and review of major capital projects, implementing and planning of short through long term transit initiatives with Coast Mountain Bus Company and TransLink, developing and planning for Cycling routes and design standards, while providing customer focused service to residents, City Council, staff, businesses, stakeholders and other customers.
- Assist with the development and implementation of a data driven decision model for the identification and prioritization of multi-modal transportation improvements to be included in the City’s 10 Year Servicing Plan.
- Prepare cost estimates, establish budgets, and forecast funding requirements for the multi-modal transportation improvement programs in the 10 Year Servicing Plan.
- Work to establish and confirm funding trends, requirements, and methods for long term sustainable transportation funding.
- Act as the lead on Cycling planning initiatives including route planning and standards development;
- Prepare project information for social media and the website to inform the public about the upcoming projects.
- Work closely with Transportation Infrastructure staff for design reviews and the tracking of the delivery of projects in the 10 Year Servicing Plan.
- Prepare, design and review long term transportation corridors and alignments.
- Review, recommend, and modify changes to City of Surrey Engineering standards, policies, and infrastructure objectives, as required.
- Work and liaison with external agencies such as Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and TransLink on plans, studies, and designs for major capital transportation infrastructure projects and initiatives.
- Participate and act as a representative of the City as part of various senior level government task forces, committees and workshops.
- Analyzes technical information in various plans, reports, and designs in order to provide review and recommendations, risk assessment, and verification of transportation solutions.
- Work closely with TransLink on the development of Transit plans and studies and with Coast Mountain Bus Company on new service provision.
- Attend public information and engagement meetings.
- Review administer, negotiate, and prepare contracts, agreements and memorandums of understanding.
- Research and maintain up to date knowledge of emerging transportation planning issues trends and developments
- Lead, train and mentor junior staff.
- Prepare reports, presentations, and assist with responses to queries from Council, committees and the public in a timely and helpful manner.
- Bachelor’s degree or technical diploma in Engineering or a related field, or a combination of related education and experience;
- A minimum of 5 years’ related experience in road design, including progressive accountability with large-scale complex projects, preferably in a technical field;
- Demonstrated project management skills in a complex environment;
- Solid knowledge of transportation planning and funding related to implementing new projects and initiatives;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders both technical and non-technical;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent skills in delivering presentations to internal and external audiences;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to reach mutually acceptable solutions while achieving consensus between groups; and
- Commitment to leading and working in alignment with the City’s Values.
This posting will close on January 1, 2020
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca
Location: Surrey, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Engineering,Transportation Services
Posted: November 22, 2019, 8:26 am
Expires: January 1, 2020, 4:30 pm