BC Local Government Job Posting Service
Security Attendant IRequisition ID: 15178
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Evelyne Saller Centre is a Community Centre located in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. The Centre provides programs and services to vulnerable populations including those who are homeless, on low income, struggling with alcohol and /or drug addiction, or with physical or mental health disabilities.
Main Purpose & Function
The Auxiliary Security Attendant I position reports to the Security Coordinator, and is responsible for front line service in a Community Centre which provides support services to vulnerable populations. The Security Attendant I works with other Security staff and is responsible for maintaining a safe, secure, and welcoming environment for individuals to access Centre Services. The Security Attendant I provides patrons with information on Evelyne Saller Centre services and activities; information on agencies and services in the area, makes referrals as required; monitors security in the building, operates the switchboard and, prepares electronic incident reports, makes logbook entries, and performs data entry tasks.
The Security Attendant I works with other Security staff as a team to deliver security services in a calm, compassionate, professional manner by de-escalating situations, dealing with crises, responding to fights and monitoring patron behaviour, ensuring that the Evelyne Saller Centre rules and standards of behavior are being observed; they work with patrons in modifying their behavior to meet the centre’s required standards; as needed asking patrons to leave the Centre who are in contravention of the Centre rules; they monitor patrons entering or seeking entry to the centre; refusing access to individuals who are barred; they make rounds of the building on a regular basis; perform 1st aid when needed, offer assistance where required and perform related duties including routine janitorial duties as required.
This is an auxiliary position; the successful candidate will be added to the Evelyne Saller Centre on-call list. There are no guaranteed hours for this position.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains a safe, healthy, and positive environment for staff, volunteers, patrons, and community members.
- Works tactfully and compassionately with individuals who may be drug/ alcohol addicted and /or isolated through poverty, homelessness, mental illness, or other factors of social exclusion.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships and appropriate professional boundaries with staff, volunteers, and patrons.
- Presents self in a professional manner that demonstrates the values of the City of Vancouver and Community Services
- Enforces Evelyne Saller Centre policies and procedures in a clam, clear and compassionate manner
- Deals confidently and respectfully with volatile and unpredictable situations including those in which mental health and addiction issues are factors
- Works cooperatively with other service providers/agencies including other service providers, outreach workers, and 911 services including Police, Ambulance, and Fire as required
- Monitors access to the Centre and makes rounds all areas in the facility on a regular basis
- Operates security equipment as required including 2 way radios and CCTV camera equipment
- Maintains paper and electronic records including incident reports, log books, databases, mail lists and other related records
- Performs routine janitorial duties as required
- Administers basic first aid and maintains applicable records.
- Makes referrals to community agencies as needed
- Monitors and reports any facility issues including maintenance, cleanliness and pest control issues as per the Centre’s procedures
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10 and, preferably, Occupational First Aid Level 1 or ability to get in upon hire
- Experience in a security position, combined with experience working with vulnerable populations preferably in a social service setting; Basic Security Training (BST) level 1 would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent conflict management and de-escalation skills especially in unpredictable, volatile, and emergency situations including situations in which mental health and addiction are factors
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and to do so independently when required
- Willing and able to enforce policies, procedure and rules in a firm and compassionate manner
- Understanding of and commitment to homeless populations who may also suffer from issues related to addiction, mental health, physical and/or cognitive disabilities and other issues related to poverty and marginalization.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent decision-making and problem-solving skills especially in volatile, disruptive and emergency situations
- Good writing skills and ability to use MS Office applications for report writing and communications
A satisfactory Police Record check is required for this position.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: 11/15/2019
Position End Date:
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $23.44 to $27.45 per hour
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Categories: Security/Crime Reduction
Posted: November 20, 2019, 1:19 pm
Expires: December 20, 2019, 11:59 pm